How Do You Form a Degree 4 Polynomial with Given Complex Zeros?

In summary: Notice that the product of complex conjugates always results in a real number because the imaginary terms cancel out.
caters

Homework Statement

Form a polynomial whose zeros and degree are given below. You don't need to expand it completely but you shouldn't have radical or complex terms.

Degree 4: No real zeros, complex zeros of 1+i and 2-3i

Homework Equations

(-b±√b^2-4ac)/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

I want something along the lines of 1 + sqrt(-1) and 1 - sqrt(-1)

I tried x^2 + x + 1 and here is what I got

(-1+sqrt(3)i)/2 and (-1-sqrt(3)i)/2

There has to be a better way than plugging coefficients into ax^2 + bx + c to find 2 factors, 1 for each complex zero(I only need 2 since complex numbers come in pairs)

I know for real zeros + y intercept I can just solve for a at x = 0

Is there a shortcut to trial and error with complex zeros that aren't a simple multiple of i(multiples of i would mean a sum of squares and that's easy)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You said that complex numbers come in pairs. What does this mean?
And do you know how a polynomial can be written, if you know all its roots?

caters said:

Homework Statement

Form a polynomial whose zeros and degree are given below. You don't need to expand it completely but you shouldn't have radical or complex terms.

Homework Equations

(-b±√b^2-4ac)/2a

There has to be a better way than plugging coefficients into ax^2 + bx + c to find 2 factors, 1 for each complex zero(I only need 2 since complex numbers come in pairs)

Is there a shortcut to trial and error with complex zeros that aren't a simple multiple of i(multiples of i would mean a sum of squares and that's easy)?

You can choose 2 zeros yourself? What do you know about:

##z \overline{z}## where ##z \in \mathbb{C} \backslash {R}##

fresh_42 said:
You said that complex numbers come in pairs. What does this mean?
And do you know how a polynomial can be written, if you know all its roots?

Complex numbers coming in pairs means that I only need 2 factors for 4 zeros instead of 4 factors and that each factor is quadratic.

And I know that the polynomial with complex terms would be (x-(1+i))(x-(1-i))(x-(2+3i))(x-(2-3i))

caters said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(-b±√b^2-4ac)/2a

Complex roots come in (conjugate) pairs IF the coefficients of the polynomial are real numbers. If the polynomial has complex number coefficients, the roots do not need to come in pairs. For example, the polynomial ##p = x^3 - 4 i x^2 -(6-5i)x +5-i## has roots ##1##, ##i+1## and ##-2+3i##.

caters said:
Complex numbers coming in pairs means that I only need 2 factors for 4 zeros instead of 4 factors and that each factor is quadratic.
Almost. It's not exactly a square, i.e. not exactly the same two zeros. See your own answer below.
And I know that the polynomial with complex terms would be (x-(1+i))(x-(1-i))(x-(2+3i))(x-(2-3i))
So why don't you simply multiply this out?

fresh_42 said:
So why don't you simply multiply this out
... which you will find easier if you first regroup the terms in the factors to separate out the complex parts, e.g. ((x-1)-i) instead of (x-(1+i)).

caters said:
What you have above is not quite right, as others have stated.

However, what you have below is correct.
caters said:
To expand the first two factors and the last two factors, regroup them as follows, then use difference of squares (difference times sum) or product of complex conjugates.

(x-(1+i))(x-(1-i)) = ((x-1) - i)((x-1) + i)

(x-(2+3i))(x-(2-3i)) = ((x-2) - 3i)((x-2) + 3i)

Related to How Do You Form a Degree 4 Polynomial with Given Complex Zeros?

What is a complex zero to a polynomial?

A complex zero to a polynomial is a solution or root of the polynomial that involves complex numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that involve both a real part and an imaginary part, and are written in the form a + bi where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

How do you find the complex zeros of a polynomial?

To find the complex zeros of a polynomial, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex zeros. You can also use the rational root theorem to narrow down the possible rational roots, and then use the remainder theorem and synthetic division to find the complex roots.

What is the difference between real and complex zeros of a polynomial?

The difference between real and complex zeros of a polynomial lies in the type of numbers involved. Real zeros are solutions that involve only real numbers, while complex zeros involve both real and imaginary numbers. Real zeros can be found on the real number line, while complex zeros are located on the complex plane.

Why are complex zeros important in polynomials?

Complex zeros are important in polynomials because they allow us to factor the polynomial into linear and quadratic terms, making it easier to solve. They also help us understand the behavior of the polynomial, such as the number of turning points and the end behavior, which can be used to graph the polynomial.

Can a polynomial have only complex zeros?

Yes, a polynomial can have only complex zeros. This means that all the solutions or roots of the polynomial involve complex numbers. This is possible because of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex zeros.