Complex vector potential of solid sphere and Heaviside function

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with a problem involving integrals and a Heaviside function. The problem is related to finding the complex vector potential in a case of a solid sphere. After some confusion and mistakes, the correct solution involves integrating from 0 to infinity, using the Heaviside function to simplify the integral, and changing the limits of integration to 0 to R. The conversation ends with the student clarifying their understanding of notation.
Shinobii

Homework Statement

I have done this problem for the case of a spherical shell, however, I am not understanding how to go about this for a solid sphere.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{A} = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{\phi' = 0}^{2 \pi} \int_{-1}^1 \int_0^R \rho_o \Theta(R-r) \sum_{l=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-l}^l \frac{4 \pi}{2l +1} \frac{r_<^l}{r_>^{l+1}}Y_{l,m}^*(\theta',\phi')Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi) r'^2 d(\cos(\theta'))d\phi' [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the case of a shell, there is a delta function which makes life easy.

My question is, what do I do with this Heaviside function? Do I treat it differently for r < R and r > R? This is my first time encountering this function.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a dr in your integral. Given the limits on your integral, you always have ##r\le R##, so the step function is equal to 1.

Hi, sorry I meant to put in the dr'.

I guess when I am integrating from 0 to r > R, I would split the integral up and only the integral from 0 to R would contribute while the other integral (R to r) would be zero.

What are the limits on your r' integral supposed to be? Are they 0 and R as you've written? Should the r inside the step function be r'?

Yes sorry, the r is r' inside the Heaviside function.

Do we split up the integral like the case of the electric potential? If so,

For r<R:

The integral, like solving for the electric potential, would have to broken up into two components, that is [itex] \int_{\infty}^r \rightarrow \int_{\infty}^R + \int_R^r. [/itex] Would the first integral = 0 by definition of the Heaviside function?

For r>R:

The integral is from [itex] \int_{\infty}^r [/itex] and therefore 0?

Again solving it for the shell case none of this was an issue...

I'm still unclear on what you're calculating here. The righthand side doesn't appear to be a vector. Where are you getting ##r## and ##\infty## for your limits?

Yeah, I messed up real good. I forgot the cross product [itex](\omega \times r')[/itex] from the velocity.

Using the complex current density,

[tex] J_x + iJ_y = -i \sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}\frac{q \omega r'}{ R^3} \Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}. [/tex]

And using this to find the complex vector potential I get,

[tex] A_x + iA_y = -i\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}\frac{q \omega}{ R^3} \int_{\phi' = 0}^{2 \pi} \int_{-1}^1 \int_0^r \Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}(\theta',\phi') \sum_{l=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-l}^l \frac{4 \pi}{2l +1} \frac{r_<^l}{r_>^{l+1}}Y_{l,m}^*(\theta',\phi')Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi) r'^3 dr'd(\cos(\theta'))d\phi' [/tex]

From here I believe I can use orthogonality to kill off some terms setting l=m=1, and I get

[tex]A_x + iA_y = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}\frac{q \omega}{ R^3} \int_0^r \Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}(\theta',\phi') \frac{4 \pi}{2(1) +1} \frac{r_<^{(1)}}{r_>^{(1)+1}} r'^3 dr'[/tex]

I hope this is right thus far. . . And yes I am clearly not understanding what I am integrating over for the r' integration.

You want to integrate over all space, so the limits should be 0 to infinity. Since the step function vanishes for r'>R, you can simply integrate from 0 to R.

You are correct, thanks! Sorry again for my sloppy mathematics, it's my pet peeve yet I am sloppy myself...

One more quick question on notation, would this be correct?

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} r' \, \Theta(R-r') dr' \rightarrow \int_0^{R} r' \, dr'. [/tex]

Would I simply change the limits of integration and remove the Heaviside function from the equation?

Sorry for the late response. Yes, that's correct.

Related to Complex vector potential of solid sphere and Heaviside function

1. What is the complex vector potential of a solid sphere?

The complex vector potential of a solid sphere is a mathematical function used to describe the magnetic field generated by a solid sphere with a uniform current distribution. It is derived from the complex scalar potential and is given by the formula A = -iμo/4π * (3cosθ - 1)/r * e^(-ikr), where μo is the permeability of free space, θ is the angle between the position vector and the z-axis, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, and k is the wavenumber.

2. What is the Heaviside function in relation to the complex vector potential of a solid sphere?

The Heaviside function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that returns a value of 0 for negative input and 1 for positive input. It is used in the complex vector potential of a solid sphere to define the boundaries of the sphere, where the current is present. The Heaviside function is used in the formula for the potential to ensure that the potential is only calculated within the boundaries of the sphere.

3. How is the complex vector potential of a solid sphere related to electromagnetic fields?

The complex vector potential of a solid sphere is related to electromagnetic fields through Maxwell's equations, specifically the Biot-Savart law. The magnetic field, B, can be calculated from the complex vector potential, A, using the formula B = ∇ x A. This relationship allows us to use the complex vector potential to model and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields around a solid sphere with a uniform current distribution.

4. What are the applications of the complex vector potential of a solid sphere and Heaviside function?

The complex vector potential of a solid sphere and the Heaviside function have various applications in electromagnetics. They are commonly used in the analysis and design of antennas, electromagnetic shielding, and magnetic materials. They are also used in the study of electromagnetic scattering and diffraction, as well as in the development of electromagnetic simulation software.

5. How can the complex vector potential of a solid sphere and Heaviside function be generalized for non-uniform current distributions?

The complex vector potential of a solid sphere and the Heaviside function can be generalized for non-uniform current distributions by using a multipole expansion. This involves expressing the current distribution as a sum of multiple point sources and then calculating the potential for each source individually. This approach allows for a more accurate representation of the actual current distribution and can be used to study more complex systems.