Can someone check my Physics working?

• Thread starter cseet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about checking the correctness of calculations and answers for two questions related to inductors and capacitors. The first question involves an inductor with a reactance of 54 ohms at 60 Hz, connected to a 50 Hz source with a 100 Vrms voltage, and the maximum current is calculated to be 3.2A. The second question deals with a 2.2 microF capacitor connected to a North American outlet with a Vrms of 110 V and f of 60 Hz, and the maximum current is calculated to be 0.13A. The only suggestion given is to carry intermediate calculations to at least 3 figures to minimize round-off errors.
cseet
Hi all,
can somebody pls check whether or not I'm in the right direction with my workings and answers. If not, can you pls advise why I've gone wrong?

thanks

question 1:
1. An inductor has a 54 ohm reactance at 60 Hz. What is the maximum current if this inductor is connected to a 50 Hz source that produces a 100 Vrms voltage?

answer:
L=?
XL = (2 pie f)(L)
54 = (2 pie 60) L
L = 54 / (2 pie 60) = 0.14H

Imax = ?
f = 50 Hz
Vrms = 100V
V max = 100 * sq root of 2

XL = wL
= (2 pie 50) (0.14)
= 43.98 = 44 ohm

therefore
Imax = Vmax / XL
= (100 * sq root 2) / 44 = 3.2A

question 2:

What maximum current is delivered by a 2.2 microF capacitor when connected to a North American outlet where Vrms = 110 V and f = 60 Hz

answer
Imax = ?
Xc = 1 / (wC) = 1 / [(2 pie 60) * (2.2E-6)]
= 1206 ohm
Imax = Vmax / Xc
= (110 * sq root of 2) / 1206
= 0.13A

thanks again
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

The only thing I could suggest is that when you wish to give your answer to 2 significant figures (which is great!) to be sure to carry all intermediate calculations to at least 3 figures to minimize any round off error. For example, in problem #1 you round off the inductance to 0.14 when a more accurate answer is 0.143. Wait until the last step to round off your answer to a sensible number of figures.

Your working and answers for both questions seem to be correct. I would suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Also, make sure to label your final answers with the correct units (ohms and amperes). Overall, good job with your Physics work! Keep up the good work and always remember to double check your work to ensure accuracy.

1. How accurate is the physics working check?

The accuracy of a physics working check depends on the person who is checking it. A professional physicist or experienced teacher will likely provide a more thorough and accurate check compared to someone with less knowledge in the subject.

2. How long does it take for someone to check my physics working?

The time it takes for someone to check your physics working can vary depending on their availability and the complexity of the problem. It is best to ask the person beforehand for an estimated time frame.

3. Can I trust someone to check my physics working online?

It is generally not recommended to trust someone to check your physics working online unless they are a qualified individual with a strong background in physics. It is important to vet the person and their qualifications before trusting their check.

4. What should I do if someone finds an error in my physics working?

If someone finds an error in your physics working, it is important to review their feedback and make necessary corrections. It is also helpful to ask for an explanation of the mistake so that you can avoid making the same error in the future.

5. Is it okay to ask multiple people to check my physics working?

Yes, it is okay to ask multiple people to check your physics working. In fact, it is encouraged to get a second or third opinion to ensure the accuracy of your work. However, make sure to give credit to each person who provided a check or feedback.