Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Complex stuff questions (6)

Markov

Feb 1, 2012

1) Let $f(z)=e^{-z}+z^2-4z+4.$ Show that $f$ has exactly two zeroes on $\{z\in\mathbb C:|z-2|<1\}.$ Show that these zeroes are distinct, that is, it's not a zero of order two.

2) Let $f,g\in\mathcal H(\mathbb C)$ be no constant. Prove that $(f\circ g)(z)$ is a polynomial iff $f$ and $g$ are polynomials.

Attempts:

1) I know I have to use Rouché's Theorem, but I don't know how for this case, it annoys me the $|z-2|<1.$

2) The $\Longleftarrow$ implication is trivial, but not the another one. I don't know how to proceed though.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
1) Let $f(z)=e^{-z}+z^2-4z+4.$ Show that $f$ has exactly two zeroes on $\{z\in\mathbb C:|z-2|<1\}.$ Show that these zeroes are distinct, that is, it's not a zero of order two.
Hint Using the substitution $u=z-2$ we obtain $f(z)=e^{-u-2}+u^2$ and $|\;e^{-u-2}\;|<|u^2|$ on $|u|=1$ .

Markov

Feb 1, 2012

Very nice Fernando! Now let $|f(u)-u^2|=|e^{-u-2}|\le|u^2|=1\le|f(u)|+|u|^2,$ since $f(u)$ and $u^2$ have no zeroes for $|u|=1,$ then by Rouché's Theorem $f$ has two zeroes for $|u|<1,$ but how to justify that those zeroes are distincts? (Second part of the problem.)

Could you help me with second problem please?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
but how to justify that those zeroes are distincts? (Second part of the problem.)
Suppose $a$ is a double root of $g(u)=e^{-u-2}+u^2$ in $|u|<1$ then, $a$ is also a root of $g'(u)=-e^{-u-2}+2u$, but $g(a)=0$ and $g'(a)=0$ implies $a^2+2a=0$ that is, $a=0$ or $a=-2$ (contradiction) .

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Fernando last thing: is my solution correct by applying Rouché's Theorem?

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Can anydoby check if my solution by using Rouché is correct?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012