Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Complex stuff questions (3)

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Denote $D=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z|<1\}.$

1) Let $a\in\mathbb C$ with $|a|<1$ and $p(z)=\dfrac a2+(1-|a|^2)z-\dfrac{\overline a}2z^2.$ Show that for all $z\in D$ is $|p(z)|\le1.$

2) Characterize all the $f$ entire functions so that for each $z\in\overline D^c$ satisfy $\left| {f(z)} \right| \le {\left| z \right|^5} + \dfrac{1}{{{{\left| z \right|}^5}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{{\left| {z - 1} \right|}^3}}}.$

3) Let $w_1,w_2\in\mathbb C$ two $\mathbb R-$linearly independent numbers. Show that if $f\in\mathcal H(\mathbb C)$ is so that for each $z\in\mathbb C$ and $f(z+w_1)=f(z)=f(z+w_2),$ then $f$ is constant.

4) Let $\mathcal U\subset\mathbb C$ open and $z_0\in\mathcal U.$ Suppose that $f$ is continuous on $\mathcal U$ and analytic on $\mathcal U-\{z_0\}.$ Show that $f$ is analytic on $\mathcal U.$

Attempts:

1) I think I need to use the Maximum Modulus Principle, but I don't see how.

2) If I let $|z|=R$ then $\left| {f(z)} \right| \le {\left| R \right|^5} + \dfrac{1}{{{{\left| R \right|}^5}}} + \dfrac{1}{{{{\left| {R - 1} \right|}^3}}},$ but $f$ was given entire so it has convergent Taylor series and by using Cauchy's integral formula I can conclude that $f^{(k)}(0)=0$ for some $k\ge n,$ and then functions $f$ are polynomials of degree $n-1,$ does this make sense?

3) I think I could use Liouville here, but I don't have that $f$ is entire, but $f$ is periodic, right?, and a periodic entire function is bounded so I could conclude by using Liouville, but I don't have that $f$ is entire. Perhaps there's another way on doing this.

4) I think I should use a remarkable theorem here but I don't remember, it looks hard.

Last edited:

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
3) Indeed, Liouville is the key. First we solve the case $\omega_1\in\mathbb R$. Show that the range of $f$ is the same as $f(Q)$, where $Q$ is diamond-shaped.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Show that the range of $f$ is the same as $f(Q)$, where $Q$ is diamond-shaped.
How would you do it? I don't see how, and what is "diamond-shaped?" I was looking at it but I didn't find the definition.

Can you help me with other problems please?

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
I need help for 1), am I on the right track? But I can't continue. Can anybody check my work for 2). Is 4) bad written? Because I see it contradicts itself.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
I can't edit now but on problem 4) it's actually $\mathcal U\backslash\{z_0\}.$

I think we can apply Morera's Theorem here, but I don't know how.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
For problem 1) mostly you're given with an inequality so that could apply the maximum modulus principle, but in this case I have $p(z)$ equal to something, so I don't see how to apply the MMP here, any help?

girdav could you please help me more on problem 3), and can anybody help for problem 4)?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
If $\omega_1\in\mathbb R$ and $\omega_2=a+bi\in \mathbb C$ with $b\neq 0$ hen for $z=x+iy$, write $z=x+iy$, then choose an integer $n$ such that $y=nb+\xi$, where $\xi<|b|$, so $z=x+i(nb+\xi)=x+inb+i\xi+na-na$ and $f(z)=f(x+\xi i-na)$. Now choose an integer $m$ such that $x-na=m\omega_1+\xi'$ with $\xi'<|b|$.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Okay but what's the direction you're pointing at? Are you trying to prove that $f$ is bounded? But I don't get the procedure, or trying to prove that $f(\mathbb C)$ equals to $f(A\times A)$ where $A$ is a compact set?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
Yes that's it. Putting $M:=\max(|b|,|\omega_1|)$, we can show that for each $z\in\mathbb C$, we can find two integers $m$ and $n$ such that $z=m\omega_1+n\omega_2+\xi_1+i\xi_2$ where $\xi_1,\xi_2\in [0,M]$.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Okay so since $[0,M]$ is compact and $f$ is entire, we have that $f$ is constant by Liouville's Theorem. Is it okay or do we have to work with the other case? I mean the $w_2$ ?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
What do you mean by the other case? By commodity, I supposed that $\omega_1$ is a real number. So we just have to show that it's without lose of generality.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Oh yes, yes, but is it okay by saying that since $[0,M]$ is compact and $f$ is entire, we have that $f$ is constant by Liouville's Theorem?

girdav, I need help with problem 1, I don't see how to use the maximum modulus principle, can you give me a hand?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
For the first problem, write $P(z)=\frac a2(1-z^2)+(1-|a|^2)z+\frac{a-\bar a}2z^2$.

In order to clarify the thread, maybe you can edit the first message and write which problems have already been solved.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
So I have $\displaystyle\left| {p(z)} \right| \le \frac{1}{2}\left| {1 - {z^2}} \right| + \left| {1 - {{\left| a \right|}^2}} \right|z + \frac{1}{2}\left| {a - \overline a } \right|{z^2} \le \frac{1}{2}(1 + 1) + (1 + 1) \cdot 1 + \operatorname{Im} (a) \cdot 1,$ but I don't get yet that $|p(z)|\le1,$ how to finish it?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
Your bound is too large, you can write $|p(z)|\leq |a|+|1-|a|^2|+|a|=-|a|^2+2|a|+1=-(|a|-1)^2+1\leq 1$.