Complex scalar field - Feynman integral

In summary, the propagator for a real scalar field is \frac{i}{(k^2-m_\phi^2)}, while for a complex scalar field, it can be written as a sum of two terms, each with a factor of i and a different mass term. The Euler-Lagrange equations and the KG equation are identical in this case.
ryanwilk

Homework Statement

For a real scalar field [itex]\phi[/itex], the propagator is [itex]\frac{i}{(k^2-m_\phi^2)}[/itex].

If we instead assume a complex scalar field, [itex]\phi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\phi_1 + i \phi_2)[/itex], where [itex]\phi_1,\phi_2[/itex] are real fields with masses [itex]m_{\phi 1},m_{\phi 2}[/itex], what is the propagator?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this true?: There's a 1/2 probability that the propagator has mass [itex]\phi_1[/itex], [itex]\phi_2[/itex] so the propagator should just be [itex]\frac{1}{2} [ \frac{i}{(k^2-m_{\phi_1}^2)} + \frac{i}{(k^2-m_{\phi_2}^2)} ][/itex]. But how does the 'i' change things?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Euler-Lagrange eqns (which typically determine the Feynman propagator) are completeley separated and identical with the original KG equation. So indeed the propagator will be written as a sum b/w a term with i and the other with i2.

Related to Complex scalar field - Feynman integral

What is a complex scalar field?

A complex scalar field is a mathematical construct used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of particles with no spin. It is a field that assigns a complex number to every point in space and time, and its dynamics are described by the complex Klein-Gordon equation.

What is the Feynman integral?

The Feynman integral, also known as the path integral, is a mathematical tool developed by physicist Richard Feynman to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in quantum mechanics. It involves summing over all possible paths that the particle could take, and has since been extended to quantum field theory.

Why is the Feynman integral important in quantum field theory?

The Feynman integral allows us to calculate the probability amplitudes for all possible interactions between particles described by quantum field theory. It is a crucial tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has been used to make predictions and test the theory in numerous experiments.

What is the role of complex scalar fields in the Feynman integral?

Complex scalar fields are one of the fundamental building blocks of the Feynman integral. They are essential in describing the interactions between particles and are used to calculate the probability amplitudes for these interactions. Without complex scalar fields, the Feynman integral would not be able to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Are there any limitations or challenges associated with the use of the Feynman integral?

While the Feynman integral has been a powerful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles, it does have its limitations. One challenge is that it becomes increasingly difficult to calculate as the number of particles and interactions increases. Additionally, the Feynman integral is not a complete theory and does not yet fully incorporate gravity, which is a major challenge in theoretical physics.