Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Complex real function u when f = u + iv

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Find the real functions \(u\) and \(v\) such that \(f = u + iv\) for \(f(z) = \arctan(z)\).
Does below work or make sense to do?
\[
\arctan(z) = \frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{x+iy} = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - i\frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}
\]

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Re: complex real function u when f = u + iv

Find the real functions \(u\) and \(v\) such that \(f = u + iv\) for \(f(z) = \arctan(z)\).
\[
\arctan(z) = \frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{x+iy} = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - i\frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}
\]
May be it has more sense the identity...

$\displaystyle \tan^{-1} z = \frac{i}{2}\ \ln \frac{1 - i\ z}{1 + i\ z}\ (1)$

Now set in (1) $z = x + i\ y$ and separe the real and imaginary parts...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

\[
\]
[tex]\arctan(z)= \frac{1}{z}[/tex] certainly does NOT make sense- it is not true. What made you write that?

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
\[
\]
I'd consider writing [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = x + i\,y \end{align*}[/tex], then [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} f(z) = u(x,y) + i\,v(x,y) \end{align*}[/tex], then

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arctan{ (x + i\,y) } &= u + i\,v \\ x + i\,y &= \tan{ \left( u + i\,v \right) } \end{align*}[/tex]

and trying to manipulate the tangent function so you can write it in terms of its real and imaginary parts...

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

May be it has more sense the identity...

$\displaystyle \tan^{-1} z = \frac{i}{2}\ \ln \frac{1 - i\ z}{1 + i\ z}\ (1)$

Now set in (1) $z = x + i\ y$ and separe the real and imaginary parts...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
In doing so, we have
\[
\frac{i}{2}\ln(1 + y - ix) - \frac{i}{2}\ln(1 - y + ix)
\]
Let \(z_1 = 1 + y - ix\) and \(z_2 = 1 - y + ix\).
Then \(\lvert z_1\rvert = \sqrt{(1 + y)^2 + x^2}\), \(\varphi_1 = -\arctan\left(\frac{x}{1 + y}\right)\), \(\lvert z_2\rvert = \sqrt{(1 - y)^2 + x^2}\), and \(\varphi_2 = -\arctan\left(\frac{x}{1 - y}\right)\).

Mathematica has that one term of the real part is
\[
\frac{1}{4}\text{Im}\left(\ln\left[\frac{(1 + y)^2 + x^2}{(1 - y)^2 + x^2}\right]\right)
\]
but when is the argument of the ln imaginary? Is it ever?

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\Arg}{Arg}\)
How do I go from
\[\frac{i}{4}\ln\Bigg[\frac{(1 + y)^2 + x^2}{(1 - y)^2 + x^2}\Bigg] -
\frac{1}{2}\Arg\bigg[\frac{1 + y - ix}{1 - y + ix}\bigg]
\]
to the real part is
\[
\frac{1}{2} \left(-\arg \left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+(y+1)^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}}\right)-\arg \left(-1-\frac{2}{-i x+y-1}\right)\right)
\]
More specifically, how is \(-\arg \left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+(y+1)^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}}\right)\) obtained?

Last edited:

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
You titled this "complex function". But it appears you are trying to solve the equation arctan(z)= 1/z. Is that correct?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
You titled this "complex function". But it appears you are trying to solve the equation arctan(z)= 1/z. Is that correct?
No.

I want to find the real and imaginary parts of \(\arctan(z)\). I came up with the \(\frac{1}{z}\) by using a right triangle; however, that was noted to be incorrect. I have the form of \(\arctan(z)\) but I don't know how Mathematica achieved part of its real part solution which I asked in my next most recent post.