Complex Radical or Complex Root?

In summary, to solve a radical expression with an index of 1.5 and a number of 250, you can either use logarithms or an ##x^n## button on a calculator to find the solution.
iamjon.smith
solve a radical expression:

1.5r250 (*r denotes the radical symbol)

in a radical expression where the index of the root is 1.5 and the number is 250

Use Calculator, Show Steps

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, using a calculator the answer comes out to 39.685, but I can't really show the steps since the calculator has an XsqrtY button and simply shows the answer. I attempted to find the steps as below, I know this is wrong since I took the square after breaking down the 250...please help.

1.5 r 250 = 1.5 r 10 * 25
1.5 * 5 r 10
7.5 r 10
7.5 * 3.162
23.715 (my answer) is not 39.685 (Scientific calculator answer)

I can't figure out the steps to solve this without the calculator, and I can't come up with the right answer. How do you solve a radical expression where the index is not 2 (square) or 3(cube), but 1.5 instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with exponents? How would you write the square root of 105 without using a radical but instead using an expression of the form 105^n. What value of n is required to express the square root of 105?

Likes iamjon.smith
iamjon.smith said:

in a radical expression where the index of the root is 1.5 and the number is 250

Homework Equations

First of all, using a calculator the answer comes out to 39.685, but I can't really show the steps since the calculator has an XsqrtY button and simply shows the answer. I attempted to find the steps as below, I know this is wrong since I took the square after breaking down the 250...please help.

1.5 * 5 r 10
7.5 r 10
7.5 * 3.162

I can't figure out the steps to solve this without the calculator, and I can't come up with the right answer. How do you solve a radical expression where the index is not 2 (square) or 3(cube), but 1.5 instead?

To do it by hand, write ##1.5 = \frac 3 2##, use ##a^{\frac 3 2} = \sqrt{a^3}## and simplify.

[Edit:] Should be ##a^{\frac 2 3} =\sqrt[3]{a^2}##

Last edited:
Likes iamjon.smith
250^1/(3/2) = 250^2/3 = 39.685

Thanks for the direction!

SteamKing said:
Are you familiar with exponents? How would you write the square root of 105 without using a radical but instead using an expression of the form 105^n. What value of n is required to express the square root of 105?
250^1/(3/2) = 250^2/3

SteamKing said:
iamjon.smith said:
250^1/(3/2) = 250^2/3
This is completely unrelated to what SteamKing asked.

iamjon.smith said:

Homework Equations

1.5 * 5 r 10
7.5 r 10
7.5 * 3.162

What you do depends on what you mean. Do mean (1) ## x = \sqrt[1.5]{250}##, or (2) ##x = 250^{1.5}##? If you mean (1), you want to solve for ##x## that gives you ##x^{1.5} = 250##, and the solution is ##x = 250^{1/1.5} = 250^{2/3},## which you can compute using logarithms (or by pressing a button if you have a calculator with a ##x^n## button for non-integer values of ##n##). If you mean (2), you can either use logarithms, or else use the fact that 1.5 = 3/2 to write either ##x = \sqrt{250^3}## or ##x = \sqrt{250}^3##; both formulas will give the same answer. Again, an alternative would be to use an ##x^n## button on a sufficiently powerful scientific calculator.

Likes iamjon.smith

Related to Complex Radical or Complex Root?

1. What are complex radicals or complex roots?

A complex radical or complex root is a number that, when squared, gives a negative result. It is composed of a real part and an imaginary part, represented by the letter "i" (which stands for the square root of -1).

2. How are complex radicals or complex roots represented?

Complex radicals or complex roots are typically represented in the form a + bi, where "a" is the real part and "bi" is the imaginary part.

3. What is the significance of complex radicals or complex roots?

Complex radicals or complex roots are important in mathematics and physics, as they allow us to solve certain equations that would otherwise have no real solutions. They also have applications in fields such as engineering and economics.

4. How do you find the value of a complex root?

To find the value of a complex root, you can use the quadratic formula or the method of completing the square. It is also helpful to understand the properties of complex numbers, such as the fact that i^2 = -1.

5. Can complex radicals or complex roots be simplified?

Yes, complex radicals or complex roots can be simplified using the rules of complex numbers. For example, you can combine like terms and use the fact that i^2 = -1 to simplify expressions.