Complex Plane Homework: Mobius Transformation Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a Mobius Transformation and the attempt at solving it. The problem prompts to put certain values into an expression and find the real and imaginary parts. The second part of the conversation involves rationalizing and simplifying an expression and comparing it to a given expression.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 7.21.29 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to even begin this problem. My notes mentioned something about a Mobius Transformation but that's not something that I've been taught, and certainly not something I'm familiar with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 209496

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to even begin this problem. My notes mentioned something about a Mobius Transformation but that's not something that I've been taught, and certainly not something I'm familiar with.

Start by putting ##\alpha=1, \beta=i## into the expression for ##z(t)##: ##z(t) = 1/(t+i)##. What are the real and imaginary parts of this ##z(t)## for real ##t##?

WWCY said:

Homework Statement

screen-shot-2017-08-22-at-7-21-29-pm-png.png

Homework Equations

or

Rationalize the numerator of ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1+e^{is}}{2i} \ ##, simplify, and compare the result to ##\displaystyle \ \frac 1 {t+i} \ ##.

Related to Complex Plane Homework: Mobius Transformation Advice

1. What is a complex plane?

A complex plane, also known as an Argand plane, is a mathematical representation of complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal axis representing the real numbers and a vertical axis representing the imaginary numbers.

2. What are Mobius transformations?

Mobius transformations are a type of complex function that maps points from the complex plane to other points on the same plane. They are expressed in the form of (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers.

3. How are Mobius transformations related to the complex plane?

Mobius transformations are a way of transforming points on the complex plane to other points on the same plane. They can be used to visualize and manipulate complex numbers and functions.

4. How do I perform Mobius transformations on the complex plane?

To perform Mobius transformations on the complex plane, you will need to understand the basic properties of complex numbers and how they relate to the transformation formula. You can use software such as Mathematica or Wolfram Alpha to help with calculations and visualizations.

5. What are some tips for solving complex plane homework involving Mobius transformations?

Here are some tips for solving complex plane homework involving Mobius transformations:

• Make sure to fully understand the transformation formula and its properties.
  • Practice using software or online tools to visualize the transformations.
  • Solve step by step and check your work at each step to avoid mistakes.
  • If you get stuck, try breaking down the problem into smaller parts.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or classmates.