Complex physics kinematics problems help

In summary, The question posed is to calculate the height of a cliff given the speed and time it takes for a thrown rock to hit the river below and the speed of sound. Using the equations provided, the travel time of the rock (Tr) and the travel time of the sound (Ts) are set equal to each other and solved for the distance traveled by each object. From there, the equations are rearranged and solved for the time it takes the rock to travel to the bottom of the cliff (tr). Plugging this value into the equation for distance, the height of the cliff is calculated to be approximately 240 meters.
Complex physics kinematics problems help!

I'm having difficulty with these physics problems. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Homework Statement

1) Steven throws a rock off a cliff, giving it a velocity of 8.3 m/s [down). He heard the splash when the rock hit the river below, exactly 6.9s after he threw the rock. How high is the cliff above the river? Assume the speed of sound equals 330 m/s.

Homework Equations

I've been given
v = d/t
a = (v2-v1)/t
d = ((v2 + v1)/2) t
d = (v1)t + 1/2a(t^2)
d = (v2)t - 1/2a(t^2)
d = (v2^2 - v1^2)/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have the slightest clue how to begin solving this question. I don't know how the speed of sound ties into the solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The time that it takes until he hears the splash (6.9 seconds) is the time is takes for the rock to travel to the bottom of the cliff plus the time it takes for the sound of the splash to travel back to the top. That is to say:

[itex]\displaystyle T_r + T_s = 6.9 seconds[/itex]
Tr is the travel time of the rock, and Ts is the travel time of the sound.

You should start by making an equation (you can use the equations you listed) for the travel time of the rock (Tr) as a function of distance. Then similarly, you can make an equation for the travel time of the sound(Ts).

Hope that helps. If you have more trouble, feel free to ask but it helps if you post your progress to give an idea of where you're stuck.

Nessdude14 said:
The time that it takes until he hears the splash (6.9 seconds) is the time is takes for the rock to travel to the bottom of the cliff plus the time it takes for the sound of the splash to travel back to the top. That is to say:

[itex]\displaystyle T_r + T_s = 6.9 seconds[/itex]
Tr is the travel time of the rock, and Ts is the travel time of the sound.

You should start by making an equation (you can use the equations you listed) for the travel time of the rock (Tr) as a function of distance. Then similarly, you can make an equation for the travel time of the sound(Ts).

Hope that helps. If you have more trouble, feel free to ask but it helps if you post your progress to give an idea of where you're stuck.

Thanks a whole lot. I'm not sure if this is right but this is how i solved the question :D

equation:
1) tr + ts = 6.9s
2) d = (8.3)tr + 1/2 (9.8)(tr2)
3) d = 330ts

Solution:
(8.3)tr + 1/2 (9.8)(tr2) = 330ts
(8.3)tr + 1/2 (9.8)(tr2) = 330 (6.9 - tr)
(8.3)tr + 1/2 (9.8)(tr2) = 2277 - 330tr
0 = 4.9tr2 + 338.3t - 2277
tr = (-b ± *square root*b2 - 4ac)/2a
tr = (-338.3 ± *square root*338.32 - 4(4.9)(-2277))/2(4.9)
tr = + 6.1779s OR tr = -75.21s

d = (8.3)tr + 1/2 (9.8)(tr2)
d = (8.3) (6.17) + 1/2 (9.8)(6.172)
d = 237.74861 2 SIG DIG
d = 240 m

Related to Complex physics kinematics problems help

1. What are complex physics kinematics problems?

Complex physics kinematics problems refer to problems in physics that involve the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. This branch of physics focuses on the mathematical description of motion, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, and how they change over time.

2. How do I approach solving complex physics kinematics problems?

To solve complex physics kinematics problems, it is important to first understand the given information and what is being asked. Then, identify which kinematic equations are applicable and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use graphs to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex physics kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex physics kinematics problems include using the wrong kinematic equations, not considering the direction of motion, and not properly converting units. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check your calculations to avoid these errors.

4. How do I check if my answer to a complex physics kinematics problem is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all given conditions. It is also helpful to use common sense and check if your answer is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Where can I find additional resources for practicing complex physics kinematics problems?

There are many online resources available for practicing complex physics kinematics problems, such as textbooks, practice problem sets, and video tutorials. You can also consult your teacher or professor for additional practice problems or attend review sessions for extra help.