Qutrit Teleportation: Understand How it Works with Nielson and Chuang

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of generalizing the teleportation circuit to qudits, particularly qutrits. It is suggested to use a joint measurement of the state to be teleported and a maximally entangled two-qudit state to achieve this. The details of this process can be worked out using generalizations of the Hadamard and CNOT gates. The conversation also mentions the potential use of including noise and simulating error correction in the qudit simulator as a potential application. The conversation then shifts to discussing the generalization of the CNOT gate for higher dimensions and the request for assistance in entangling qudits.
damo642
Ive been reading nielson and chuangs book "Quantum computation and quantum information" and find the the teleportation of a qubit very intuitiuve.
I would like to know how mathematically the same process would apply to a qutrit = a|0> + b|1> + c|2>.
can one use the exact same circuit ( ie a qutrit version of a hadamard and a qutrit version of a c-not ) to teleport this qutrit.

You can build the circuit using my qudit simulator. the abitrary qutrit inputs can be made by enabling the option " allow Abitrary inputs" on the simulator.

http://www.compsoc.nuigalway.ie/~damo642/QuantumSimulator/QuantumSimulator/QuantumQuditSimulator.htm

Actually the reason i asked this is because i would like a killer application for my simulator. If you can think of any i would greatly appreciate it.
In other words a useful circuit for dimensions other than qubits.

Regards
Damien Fitzgerald

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The teleportation circuit can be generalized to arbitrary dimensional systems (i.e. qudits). Denote the general state to be teleported by |\psi> and define the maximally entangled two-qudit state

|\phi> = sum_{j=0}^{d-1} |jj>

Now do a joint measurement of the qudit |\psi> and one particle of |\phi> in the maximally entangled basis

|\phi_{km}> = sum_{j=0}^{d-1} e^{2*pi*i*k/d} |j j+m>

where k,m = 0,1,...,d-1 and + inside the Ket denotes addition modulo d. Now, the remaining qudit from the maximally entangled pair will be in one of d^2 states given by |\psi> rotated by a unitary that depends on the measurement outcome.

You can work out the details of this using the gates I described to you in response to your previous posting, i.e. the gates to recover the |\psi> are just the generalization of the Pauli gates I gave there.

To work out a circuit version of this, you will need to generalize the Hadamard gates to Fourier transform gates i.e.

|j> -> \sum_{k=0}^{d-1} e^{2*pi*i*j*k/d} |k>

and the CNOT becomes a more general entangling gate, which you should be able to work out.

As regards 'killer applications' for your simulator, I am not really sure if there are any. Certainly, the details of this teleportation circuit can be easily worked out on a piece of paper. You are looking for something that is too complicated to work out by hand, but is not so large that it would require a real quantum computer to do it in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe including some realistic noise in your simulator and then simulating error correction and fault tolerant computation might be useful. This might be nice because robustness to noise is supposed to be an advantage of using qudits over qubits.

I would like to know how can I generalize the CNot gate for higher dimensions?
I'm trying to entangle the qudits, but don't know how to generalize the CNot.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me!

1. What is Qutrit Teleportation?

Qutrit teleportation is a quantum communication protocol that allows the transfer of quantum states between two parties. It is an extension of traditional quantum teleportation, which is limited to qubits (quantum bits), to qutrits (quantum trits). Qutrit teleportation is based on the principles of quantum entanglement and superposition.

2. How does Qutrit Teleportation work?

Qutrit teleportation works by utilizing a shared entangled qutrit pair between the sender and receiver. The sender performs a Bell measurement on the qutrit to be teleported and one of the entangled qutrits. The result of this measurement is then communicated to the receiver, who can then apply a specific quantum operation to the remaining entangled qutrit to complete the teleportation process.

3. What are the advantages of Qutrit Teleportation?

Compared to traditional qubit teleportation, qutrit teleportation offers a larger state space, allowing for a higher information capacity. This makes it more suitable for applications such as quantum cryptography and quantum computing. Additionally, qutrits are less susceptible to certain types of errors, making qutrit teleportation a more robust method of quantum communication.

4. Who discovered Qutrit Teleportation?

Qutrit teleportation was first proposed by physicist Isaac L. Chuang and mathematician Michael A. Nielsen in their book "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information". They extended the concept of traditional qubit teleportation to qutrits, demonstrating its potential for quantum information processing.

5. What are the current developments in Qutrit Teleportation?

Since its initial proposal, qutrit teleportation has been experimentally demonstrated in different physical systems, including photons, ions, and atoms. Researchers are also exploring the potential of using qutrit teleportation for secure quantum communication and quantum computing protocols. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to develop more efficient and scalable algorithms for qutrit teleportation, making it a promising area of research in the field of quantum information science.