Complex numbers, solving polynomial, signs of i

In summary: Since you have i and -2 as roots, the third root must be -i. So in summary, the roots of the equation are i, -2, and -i.
Platypus26
I'm revising complex numbers and having trouble with this question...

Question:

Verify that 2 of the roots of the equation:

z^3 +2z^2 + z + 2 = 0

are i and -2. Find any remaining roots

Attempt at solution:

i^3 +2 i^2 + i + 2 =
(-1)i + 2(-1) +i + 2 =
-i -2 + i +2 =0
therefore i is a root

(-2)^3 +2(-2)^2 + (-2) + 2 =
-8 + 8 = 0
therefore -2 is a root

Let y be the remaining root to be found...

(z+i) (z-2)(z+y) = 0
(z^2 - 2z + iz -2i) (z+y) = 0
z^3 - 2z^2 + iz^2 -2iz +z^2 y -2zy +izy -2iy = 0

z^3 + (i+y-2) z^2 + (iy-2y-2i)z + (-2iy) = 0

so from this I should be able to work out y by equating the coefficients...
i + y-2 = 2 -> i+y = 4??
iy-2-2i = 1 iy - 2i = 3?
-2iy = 2 from this i think y=i but it doesn't seem to agree with the other equations.

This is where I'm stuck.
Does i multiplied by -i equal 1 or -1?
Also what is is (-i)^2 ?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the mistake is at the very beginning...
(z+i) (z-2)(z+y) = 0

The idea of factoring is that if you plug in a root, one of the factors will be zero. Therefore, you should always write (z - root). If +i and -2 are roots, then, you would get
(z-i)(z+2)(z-y) = 0

Does i multiplied by -i equal 1 or -1?
i * -i = -1 * i *i = -1 * -1 = 1

Also what is is (-i)^2 ?
(-i)^2 = i^2 = -1
just like
(-2)^2 = 2^2 = 4

Following up on what Compuchip said, if i and -2 are roots, z - i and z + 2 are factors, which means also that (z - i)(z + 2) is a factor. If you multiply this out and divide your original polynomial by it, you will get your third factor.

One thing that you should always be aware of is that if all the coefficients of a polynomial are real, then the complex roots will come in conjugate pairs. The conjugate of i is -i.

I understand your confusion and difficulties with complex numbers and solving polynomials. Let me provide some clarification and guidance.

Firstly, complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1. In your equation, z^3 +2z^2 + z + 2 = 0, the coefficients (2, 1, 1, and 2) are all real numbers, so the roots of the equation can be either real or complex.

To verify that i and -2 are roots of the equation, you can simply substitute them into the equation and see if the result is equal to 0. In your attempt at solution, you made a small mistake in the first step where you wrote i^3 +2 i^2 + i + 2 = (-1)i + 2(-1) +i + 2. Remember that i^2 = -1, so the correct equation should be i^3 +2 i^2 + i + 2 = (-1)i + 2(-1) +i + 2 = 0.

Now, for finding the remaining root, you can use the fact that the sum of the roots of a cubic equation is equal to the negative of the coefficient of the second term (in this case, -2). Therefore, the sum of the three roots is -2. We already know that i and -2 are two of the roots, so the third root must be -2 - i.

To answer your question about (-i)^2, remember that i^2 = -1, so (-i)^2 = (-1)(-1) = 1. This is because when you multiply two negative numbers, the result is a positive number.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of complex numbers and solving polynomials. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

Related to Complex numbers, solving polynomial, signs of i

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

2. How do you solve a polynomial?

Solving a polynomial involves finding the values of the variable that make the polynomial equation true. This can be done by factoring the polynomial and setting each factor equal to zero, or by using the quadratic formula for polynomials of degree 2 or higher.

3. What is the significance of the sign of i?

The sign of i (±i) indicates the direction of the imaginary part in a complex number. A positive sign indicates a positive imaginary part, while a negative sign indicates a negative imaginary part.

4. Can complex numbers be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane, with the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The point where the two axes intersect represents the complex number 0 + 0i.

5. Why are complex numbers useful in mathematics and science?

Complex numbers have numerous applications in mathematics and science, including in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They allow for the representation of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, and they provide a way to solve polynomial equations that have no real solutions.