Complex numbers: reinventing the wheel?

In summary: The change is very interesting and it is about the "useless" negative square root taken as an absolute value in the usual definition of complex numbers. This is different from the imaginary unit. I have also showed how the same equation can be solved without resorting to complex numbers and how the change in the formula is related to a property of right triangles, the hypotenuse squared and the square of the sides, something not mentioned in the wikipedia article.In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between complex numbers and conjugate numbers, and their historical development in solving quadratic equations. The use of complex
bobie
Gold Member
I am studying complex numbers and, hard as I try, I cannot see great difference between them and the conjugate numbers known and used since 500 B.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_formula#Historical_development) to solve a quadratic equation
[tex]p/2 \pm \sqrt(p/2 ^2\pm q) [/tex]
where the sum of the conjugates gives p and the multiplication q.

It seems to me that they just factorized these "conjugate, triangular or pythagorean" numbers (doing separate operations) and used them to find the root in
[itex]x^3 -px = q[/itex] when p is < 0,
setting √p/3 as the hypothenuse, x/2 and √(p/3-x/2 ^2) as legs of the triangle and parts of the conjugate numbers
u , v = [tex]x/2\pm \sqrt{p/3-x/2 ^2}[/tex]
the (separate) sum of the conjugates u (x/2+x/2) + v (+√ -√=0) gives x and the (cross,separate) multiplication gives (x/2 ^2 + √.. ^2) the squared hypothenuse p/3, satisfying cardano formula u * v = p/3:
(x/2 + √...) * (x/2 - √...) = (x/2 ^2 + p/3 -x/2 ^2)

Why call them complex or imaginary numbers as the negative square root is taken as an absolute value? can someone , please, point out the differences apart from the cross multiplication?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
bobie said:
I am studying complex numbers and, hard as I try, I cannot see great difference between them and the conjugate numbers known and used since 500 B.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_formula#Historical_development) to solve a quadratic equation
[tex]p/2 \pm \sqrt(p/2 ^2\pm q) [/tex]
where the sum of the conjugates gives p and the multiplication q.

I'm not exactly sure what you're claiming. In ordinary real number arithmetic, the equation

[itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex]

has no solution. If you try to come up with two numbers [itex]\alpha_+[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_-[/itex] such that

[itex]\alpha_+ + \alpha_- = 0[/itex]
[itex]\alpha_+ \times \alpha_- = -1[/itex]

there are no such numbers. Complex analysis just adds a new number, [itex]i[/itex] to the mix, and declares:

[itex]\alpha_+ = +i[/itex]
[itex]\alpha_- = -i[/itex]

is the solution.

Likes 1 person
stevendaryl said:
I'm not exactly sure what you're claiming. In ordinary real number arithmetic, the equation

[itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex]

has no solution. If you try to come up with two numbers [itex]\alpha_+[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_-[/itex] such that

[itex]\alpha_+ + \alpha_- = 0[/itex]
[itex]\alpha_+ \times \alpha_- = -1[/itex]

there are no such numbers. Complex analysis just adds a new number, [itex]i[/itex] to the mix, and declares:

[itex]\alpha_+ = +i[/itex]
[itex]\alpha_- = -i[/itex]

is the solution.

Minor error: [itex]\alpha_+ \times \alpha_- = 1[/itex]

Likes 1 person
mathman said:
Minor error: [itex]\alpha_+ \times \alpha_- = 1[/itex]

Right.

stevendaryl said:
I'm not exactly sure what you're claiming. In ordinary real number arithmetic, the equation x^2 + 1 = 0 has no solution..
Your example has the same problem as mine, please consider x=6 and p=30:
[tex]x^3-px=q → (2a)^3 -3*2a*b= 2c → (2*3)^3 - 3*(2*3)*10 = 2*18 [/tex]
if you try to apply the regular cardano formula: [itex]c\pm \sqrt{c^2-b^3} →18 \pm \sqrt{18^2-10^3}[/itex]
this equation apparently has no solution, exactly like yours, since 234-1000 =-676: there is no such squareroot and, furthermore, there are no two real numbers u, v whose product is p/3 (= b =10) but it has a solution with a different approach: the square and cube of the hypotenuse of a right triangle .
Cardano et alii changed the formula: [itex]c \pm \sqrt{b^3 - c^2} → 1000-324 = 676 → \sqrt{676} = 26[/itex]
then set 26 (√b^3-c^2) and 18 (= c) as legs of a right triangle with hypotenuse √b^3 and used that to find the legs (a and [itex]\sqrt{b-a^2}[/itex]) of the triangle with hypotenuse √b and λ'= λ/3 , getting direcly x with a new formula. The procedure of complex numbers is a sort of justification, derivation and can be skipped altogether.

Did Cardano discover that property of the right triangle or he just applied it without realizing it?

Last edited:
bobie said:
Why call them complex or imaginary numbers as the negative square root is taken as an absolute value?

Well, we have to call them something, and "useful and fascinating abstraction formed from ordered pairs of real numbers and obeying the following definitions of addition and multiplication ..." would be a bit unwieldy.

As for why we generally prefer the ##a+bi## formalism to the conjugate formalism... Try expressing something like Schrodinger's equation in the conjugate formalism.

Likes 1 person
Conjugate numbers is probably more appropriate, but surely not imaginary and no negative square root, you seem to agree. Just a technique to square the hypotenuse considering the legs a,b of a triangle as conjugate numbers u,v:
a+b, a-b, so that u*v = the hypotenuse (a^2+b^2) c, and u*u = the legs of the squared triangle (a^2-b^2 ; 2ab). You surely can express Schroedinger and all without i, why not?

Do you happen to know if it was Cardano who discovered that? He does not seem to realize what he is actually doing. Have you ever heard outside the scope of complex numbers that you in order to double the angle of a right triangle you must set [itex] b'= \sqrt{b^2-a^2}, a' = 2ab[/itex] and doing so you get [itex]c' = c^2[/itex]? Is there any trace of that in Euclid?

Thanks

Last edited:
bobie said:
Your example has the same problem as mine, please consider x=6 and p=30:
[tex]x^3-px=q → (2a)^3 -3*2a*b= 2c → (2*3)^3 - 3*(2*3)*10 = 2*18 [/tex]
if you try to apply the regular cardano formula: [itex]c\pm \sqrt{c^2-b^3} →18 \pm \sqrt{18^2-10^3}[/itex]
this equation apparently has no solution, exactly like yours, since 234-1000 =-676: there is no such squareroot and, furthermore, there are no two real numbers u, v whose product is p/3 (= b =10) but it has a solution with a different approach: the square and cube of the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

I still don't know what you are claiming. In the case of [itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex], it's not that we haven't figured out a sufficiently clever way to solve it. It doesn't have a real-number solution. There is nothing "apparently" about it.

stevendaryl said:
I still don't know what you are claiming. In the case of [itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex], it's not that we haven't figured out a sufficiently clever way to solve it. It doesn't have a real-number solution. There is nothing "apparently" about it.

I do not see your point, steven, not all equations have solutions.

I have showed that in the case of the cubic equations we do not have imaginary numbers and you can get the root with a simple formula that does not even need regular conjugate numbers.
and, if you want to use conjugates, i is useless anyway: (b=10, c=18, a=3, h (hypothenuse)=√10 ,√10-9 = 1) :

(3+1) + (3-1)= (3+3) + (1-1 =0) = 6 = x
(3+1) * (3-1) = (3*3 - 1*-1= ) 10 + (3*1+3*-1 = 0) = b
(3+1)2= (3+1)*(3+1) = (3*3 -1*1=) 8 + (3*1+3*1=) 6; h = 8 2+62= 100 = b2
(3+1)3= (3+1)*(3+1)*(3+1) = 18, 26; h = 182+262=1000= b3; √1000-324 = 26

x =√40*.9487 = 6 independently of all this, anyway

To solve the problem that produced imaginary numbers do we need i? is it a grounded claim?

Last edited:
bobie said:
I do not see your point, steven, not all equations have solutions.

But once you introduce [itex]i[/itex], the equation [itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex] does.

More generally, once imaginary numbers have been introduced, every polynomial equation has a solution. More useful for some purposes is this: Every polynomial equation can be factored. Given an equation of the form [itex]A_n x^n + A_{n-1} x^{n-1} + ... + A_0[/itex], we can factor it as:

[itex]A (x - x_1) (x - x_2) ... (x - x_n)[/itex]

for some complex constants [itex]A, x_1, x_2, ..., x_n[/itex]

To solve the problem that produced imaginary numbers do we need i? is it a grounded claim?

To solve the equation [itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex], you certainly have to introduce imaginary numbers.

bobie said:
You surely can express Schroedinger and all without i, why not?

I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said that if you try it you'll see why it isn't done.

bobie said:
You surely can express Schroedinger and all without i, why not?

Why would you want to?

If you are referring to 500 BC, the existence of negative numbers was not understood at that time. A subtraction problem giving a negative number would have been considered absurd. There would have been no concern about roots of negative numbers because there were no negative numbers.

I don't understand what you mean by "the negative square root is taken as an absolute value".

Related to Complex numbers: reinventing the wheel?

1. What are complex numbers and why do we need them?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. We need complex numbers to represent and solve mathematical problems that involve negative numbers under the square root, such as finding the roots of quadratic equations.

2. How are complex numbers different from real numbers?

Complex numbers have both a real and an imaginary part, while real numbers only have a single real part. Additionally, real numbers can be plotted on a number line, while complex numbers are plotted on a two-dimensional plane known as the complex plane.

3. Can complex numbers be used in real-world applications?

Yes, complex numbers have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving alternating currents, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others.

4. What is the significance of the imaginary unit, i?

The imaginary unit, i, is a fundamental part of complex numbers. It represents the square root of -1 and allows us to work with and solve problems involving negative numbers under the square root. It also has important applications in fields such as electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any practical limitations to using complex numbers?

There are no inherent limitations to using complex numbers, but they can be more difficult to work with compared to real numbers. Additionally, some real-world problems may not require the use of complex numbers and can be solved with simpler methods. However, complex numbers are a valuable tool in mathematics and have many important applications.