How to Calculate Heat Input for a 30% Efficient Heat Engine

In summary, the efficiency of the heat engine is 30%, its power is 600W, and the rate of heat input is 2000 Joules. The formula for heat rate for fuels is not provided in the conversation.
Dx
A heat engine has efficiency of 30% and its power is 600W. what is the rate of heat input?

is 1.8Kw right?

e=W/q_h
.30 * 600

TY
dx:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that would correspond to an efficiency of 0.33...

Originally posted by Tom
No, that would correspond to an efficiency of 0.33...

Is my equation wrong, what am i doing incorrectly tom?
Dx

Originally posted by Dx
Is my equation wrong, what am i doing incorrectly tom?
Dx

I can't tell, since I don't know the meanings of the symobls you used. Efficiency is power output divided by power input.

Originally posted by Dx
A heat engine has efficiency of 30% and its power is 600W. what is the rate of heat input?

is 1.8Kw right?

e=W/q_h
.30 * 600

yourt the man Tom! Thats what my symbols mean. e= efficiency, W=work ouot/Q_h=work in. so why did i get this wrong, tom.
Im lost in the math and don't know where? please help?
Dx

You might be better off to take Tom's answers with a grain of salt and check them carefully. He seems to be doing the same thing you are: taking the numbers given and putting them together in the simplest way without regard for the correct formula.

In this case, the formula you give is: e=W/q_h and the values are efficiency= e= 0.30, Work out= W= 600.

In other words, 0.30= 600/q_h. Solving that, 0.30*q_h= 600 so
q_h= 600/0.30= 2000 Joules.

It should occur to you that, since efficiency is always less than 1, there must be more energy put in that you get out.

.30 * 600

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
You might be better off to take Tom's answers with a grain of salt and check them carefully. He seems to be doing the same thing you are: taking the numbers given and putting them together in the simplest way without regard for the correct formula.

No, Dx was quoting himself (not me) in his post above. The only "answer" I gave was...

"I can't tell, since I don't know the meanings of the symobls you used. Efficiency is power output divided by power input."

...which is no different from what you posted.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
You might be better off to take Tom's answers with a grain of salt and check them carefully.
Speaking of grains of salt,
600 watts/30% = 2,000 watts, not joules. :smile:

Dx said:

is 1.8Kw right?

e=W/q_h
.30 * 600

TY
dx:wink:
can anybody please tell me the formula for heat rate for fuels?

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. This process is governed by the laws of thermodynamics and is commonly used in machines such as car engines, power plants, and refrigerators.

2. How do you calculate heat input for a 30% efficient heat engine?

To calculate the heat input for a 30% efficient heat engine, you need to know the amount of energy that the engine is able to convert into work, which is known as the thermal efficiency. This can be calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. In this case, the thermal efficiency is 30%, so the heat input can be found by dividing the work output by 0.30.

3. What is the formula for calculating heat input?

The formula for calculating heat input is: Heat Input = Work Output / Thermal Efficiency. This formula is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

4. How is heat input related to heat output in a heat engine?

In a heat engine, the heat input is the amount of heat energy that is added to the system, while the heat output is the amount of heat energy that is released from the system. The difference between the two is the amount of heat energy that is converted into work.

5. Can the efficiency of a heat engine be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a heat engine cannot be greater than 100%. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that it is impossible to convert all of the heat energy into work. The maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine is known as the Carnot efficiency and is determined by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.