Complex number method for kinematic equations

In summary, the conversation discusses using the complex-number method to derive displacement, velocity, and acceleration equations for a two-arm manipulator. The equations are also derived for the center of gravity of each arm, assuming it is located halfway between the joints. The homework equations include arm lengths of 1" each, angular velocity of ω=1rad/s, and angular acceleration of α=1rad/s^2. The conversation also mentions constructing graphical solutions for 3 positions. The person attempting the solution gets a little lost in the algebra and is seeking assistance with modeling the problem in MATLAB or Excel.
anonymous4l

Homework Statement

Objective:
1. For a two-arm manipulator, use complex-number method to derive the displacement, velocity and acceleration equations for the tracing point P.
2. For a two-arm manipulator, use complex-number method to derive the displacement, velocity and acceleration equations for the center of gravity for each arm assuming it is located halfway between the joints.
3. Construction graphical solutions for 3 positions.

Homework Equations

The arm lengths are 1" each. angular velocity: ω=1rad/s, angular acceleration: α=1rad/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I get a little lost in the algebra.
So far I have a*e^(i*theta) + b*e^(i*phi) = x + i*y

I separated into real and imaginary:

Real: a*cos(theta)+b*cos(theta)=x

After dividing by i...I get:

Imaginary: a*(sin(phi)) +b*sin(phi) = y

Then I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks,

-D

p.s. If anyone knows how to model this in either MATLAB or excel...please email me!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not quite right. for the real part, you've written theta in both cosines, but that's not right, if you think of the trigonometric form of a complex number. (And you've got a similar mistake for the imaginary part). Maybe write out the complex numbers explicitly in trigonometric form, instead of skipping this step.

Related to Complex number method for kinematic equations

1. What is the complex number method for kinematic equations?

The complex number method for kinematic equations is a mathematical approach that uses complex numbers to solve problems related to motion and velocity. It is based on the principles of complex analysis and can be applied to both linear and rotational motion.

2. How is the complex number method different from traditional methods of solving kinematic equations?

The complex number method differs from traditional methods in that it uses complex numbers, which have real and imaginary components, to represent both magnitude and direction. This allows for a more efficient and concise way of solving kinematic problems compared to traditional methods that use vectors.

3. Can the complex number method be applied to all types of kinematic equations?

Yes, the complex number method can be applied to all types of kinematic equations, including those involving acceleration, displacement, velocity, and time. It can also be used to solve problems involving both linear and rotational motion.

4. What are the advantages of using the complex number method for solving kinematic equations?

One of the main advantages of using the complex number method is that it simplifies the calculation process and can save time compared to traditional methods. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between different variables in a kinematic problem.

5. Are there any limitations to the complex number method for kinematic equations?

The complex number method may not be suitable for all types of kinematic problems, particularly those involving complex and irregular motion. It also requires a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties, which may be a barrier for some students or researchers.