Women in Combat: Equal Rights, Equal Responsibilities

• News
  • Thread starter Kerrie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: If the army thought lighter weapons were suitable for the job, then the male soldiers would have them, so they could carry more ammo, batteries and water. The requirements should not be different for males and females, but being male should not be a requirement.In summary, I think that women are very capable of combat as men are, and that if their training accommodated their strength (in comparison to men), they would be perfectly able of handling the stress of war. Additionally, I think that if wars in the future will be like Iraq and Afghanistan, then no positions will really be "non-combat".
Drag wrote: "Men on average are simply more evolved
for such situations."
----------------------------------------------------

Perhaps you are right. There again, if there are women who wish to join frontline, combat troops and are able to pass all the medical and physical tests, I don't know why they should be prohibited from doing so. In addition to the numerous examples of women fighters that have been mentioned, there are also the many guerilla groups in which women have a combat role. I am sure women can shoot straight enough, be brave enough, carry enough, withstand enough, etc, etc.

The decision not to give them combat status is a political one, in which the reasons/excuses are dressed up as physical and mental inability.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings !
Originally posted by N_Quire
Perhaps you are right. There again, if there are women who wish to join frontline, combat troops and are able to pass all the medical and physical tests, I don't know why they should be prohibited from doing so.
There are a number of other issues involved
which are also the reason that where female
infantry units do exist they are ussualy separate
from men.

It requires additional investment to maintain
privacy in "mingled" units. Also, men can
sometimes be distracted by the presense of women
and act differently when fighting alongside them.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by Kerrie
What do you think of women in combat? After the rescue of Jessica Lynch, the female POW rescued the other day, I think women are very capable of combat as men are. I think if their training accommodated their strength (in comparison to men), they are perfectly able of handling the stress of war.

Besides, if we women want equal rights, then we have to have equal responsibilities:wink:

ok, i am truly discouraged by the american media...i am sure most of you have heard (at least in america) how the resuce of j. lynch was "exaggerated"...i had to bring this up after being so proud of the american woman "in combat"...i guess i will listen to my own advice a lot more now...

QUESTION EVERYTHING

Originally posted by Kerrie
ok, i am truly discouraged by the american media...i am sure most of you have heard (at least in america) how the resuce of j. lynch was "exaggerated"...i had to bring this up after being so proud of the american woman "in combat"...i guess i will listen to my own advice a lot more now...
The media overreaction isn't Jessica Lynch's fault - she was barely conscious. The media simply watches events happen and renders opinions on things they can't comprehend. For some reason, despite the military advisors they have, they have no comprehension of how the military works.

In a situation such as the Lynch rescue, you must remember that regardless of how the situation looks in 20/20 hindsight, it was war at the time. In war, you DO NOT KNOW how bad ANY situation is, so you approach EVERY situation as a worst case scenario. Underestimating a threat is the surest way to get yourself killed. The media saw the military approach the situation as if it were a battle because that's how the military MUST operate for the safety of the troops. The media, not understanding this, made the assumption that since the military approached it like a battle, that it WAS a battle. Oops.

Some civilians in the hospital complained about the incursion - for example, I heard they refused a key and instead broke down a door. But the civilans made the same mistake the media made. The military must assume that EVERY civilian could be springing a trap on them (many soldiers died at checkpoints for letting their guard down). In a situation like that, the best thing for a civilian to do is shut up and stay out of the way.