Complex notation of periodic functions

In summary, the periodic function of time in physics literature is often expressed in complex form, such as f(x,t)=g(x)e^{i\omega t}. This can be confusing for non-physicists, but it is generally understood that the real part of the complex equation is what is of interest. The reason for using the complex format is to simplify manipulation of the equation, and it can also be beneficial when the real and imaginary parts represent two different physical variables.
Apteronotus
I have found in physics literature a periodic function of time is many times written in complex form.
For example,
[tex]f(x,t)=g(x)e^{i\omega t}[/tex]

As a non-physicist this has proven a bit confusing.

Is it generally understood that the function we are really interested in the real part of the complex?
ie.
[tex]Re(g(x)e^{i\omega t})[/tex]​
Is the reason for the complex format for simplification when the equation is manipulated?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Often we are interested in the real part of the complex variables. Sometimes the real part is one physical variable and the imaginary part (Remember, Im(z) is a *real* number) is another one. When this fortunate situation arises, we can solve two problems at once.

Thank you Vanadium. Very well explained!

Related to Complex notation of periodic functions

1. What is complex notation of periodic functions?

Complex notation of periodic functions is a mathematical representation of periodic functions using complex numbers. It involves expressing the periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and phases.

2. Why is complex notation used for periodic functions?

Complex notation is used for periodic functions because it simplifies the analysis and calculations of these functions. It also allows for easier manipulation and understanding of the properties of periodic functions.

3. How is complex notation related to Euler's formula?

Complex notation is closely related to Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit. This formula allows for the conversion between trigonometric and exponential forms of periodic functions.

4. Can complex notation be used for all types of periodic functions?

Yes, complex notation can be used for all types of periodic functions, including sinusoidal, sawtooth, square wave, and more. It is a versatile tool for representing and analyzing periodic functions.

5. How does complex notation help in solving differential equations involving periodic functions?

Complex notation is useful in solving differential equations involving periodic functions because it simplifies the equations and allows for easier manipulation. It also helps in visualizing the behavior of the periodic function over time and understanding the solutions to the equations.