Complex integration via parametrization

In summary: This will result in the correct answer of 1.1701-8.9026*i. In summary, the task is to compute the integral of the function (z-1)/(z+1) over a square with length 5, centered at i, and using parametrization in a counter-clockwise direction. The correct substitution for the third integral should be u=-2.5+iy-1, resulting in an answer of 1.1701-8.9026*i.
bjohnson2001

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\Gamma[/itex] be the square whose sides have length 5, are parallel to the real and imaginary axis, and the center of the square is i. Compute the integral of the following function over [itex]\Gamma[/itex] in the counter-clockwise direction using parametrization. Show all work.

[itex]\frac{z-1}{z+1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

u substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from the lower right point and going counter clockwise:

1) [itex]^{3.5}_{-1.5} \int \frac{i(2.5+iy-1)}{2.5+iy+1} dy[/itex] = -0.5245 + 2.6194i

2) [itex]^{2.5}_{-2.5} \int \frac{x+i3.5-1}{x+i3.5+1} dx[/itex] = -4.4755-2.3806i

4) [itex]^{-2.5}_{2.5} \int \frac{x-i3.5-1}{x-i3.5+1} dx[/itex] = 3.8299-3.9026i

All of these have been confirmed by the quad function in MATLAB. There is a problem when computing the third integral from 3.5i to -1.5i, crossing from quadrant II into quadrant III. My method seems to be the same as before but my answer is [itex]-4\pi i[/itex] more than what it should be.

3) [itex]^{-1.5}_{3.5} \int \frac{z-1}{z+1} dz[/itex] where [itex]\stackrel{z(y)=-2.5+iy}{z'(y)=i}[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{i(-2.5+iy-1)}{-2.5+iy+1} dy[/itex] where [itex]\stackrel{u=-2.5+iy+1}{du=idy}[/itex]

= [itex]\int \frac{u-2}{u} du[/itex]

= [itex]\int 1- \frac{2}{u} du[/itex]

= [itex]u-2*ln(u)

= (-2.5-iy + 1)-2ln(-2.5+iy+1)^{-1.5}_{3.5}[/itex] = 1.1701+3.6638*i

This should be 1.1701-8.9026*i

Can you see what the problem is?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is with my substitution. The substitution should be \stackrel{u=-2.5+iy-1}{du=idy} instead of \stackrel{u=-2.5+iy+1}{du=idy}.

Related to Complex integration via parametrization

What is complex integration via parametrization?

Complex integration via parametrization is a method for calculating the integral of a complex-valued function over a specified path in the complex plane. It involves parameterizing the path and then using the properties of the complex numbers to evaluate the integral.

Why is complex integration via parametrization useful?

Complex integration via parametrization is useful because it allows us to calculate integrals of complex functions that cannot be easily evaluated using traditional methods. It also provides a more efficient way to evaluate certain types of integrals, such as those over closed loops or curves.

What are the basic steps for performing complex integration via parametrization?

The basic steps for performing complex integration via parametrization are: 1) Choose a parametrization for the path of integration, 2) Substitute the parametrization into the integral, 3) Simplify the integral using properties of complex numbers, 4) Evaluate the integral using techniques such as the Cauchy Integral Formula or the Residue Theorem.

What are some common parametrizations used in complex integration?

Some common parametrizations used in complex integration include the straight line parametrization, circular parametrization, and semicircular parametrization. These parametrizations are often used for integrating over straight lines, circles, and semicircles, respectively.

How can complex integration via parametrization be applied in real-world problems?

Complex integration via parametrization has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to calculate electric and magnetic field strengths, fluid flow, and other physical quantities. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and other areas of mathematics.