Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Complex integral

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
$\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{2t+i}{t^2+it+1} dt = \int_0^1 \left(\frac{t}{2} + \frac{i}{4} + \frac{5/4}{2t+i}\right) dt = \frac{1}{4} + \frac{5}{8} \ln\left(\sqrt{5}\right) + i\left(\frac{1}{4} + \frac{5}{8}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)$

Is this correct?

Last edited:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
$\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{2t+i}{t^2+it+1} dt = \int_0^1 \left(\frac{t}{2} + \frac{i}{4} + \frac{5/4}{2t+i}\right) dt = \frac{1}{4} + \frac{5}{8} \ln\left(\sqrt{5}\right) + i\left(\frac{1}{4} + \tan^{-1}(-2)\right)$

Is this correct?
I don't think it is. Note that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. What does that suggest?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I don't think it is. Note that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. What does that suggest?
U-sub isn't defined for Complex integrals because any closed path would be zero. A counter example is 1/z around the unit circle which isn't 0 and is closed path.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
What Ackbach suggests is correct because you're integrating with respect to a real variable ($t$), in which case $i$ is just a constant.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
U-sub isn't defined for Complex integrals because any closed path would be zero. A counter example is 1/z around the unit circle which isn't 0 and is closed path.
What Ackbach suggests is correct because you're integrating with respect to a real variable ($t$), in which case $i$ is just a constant.
Also, the denominator is nonzero on the integration path.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I think I understand what my professor means. If we substitute,

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt$

The numerator is the derivative of the denominator so substitutions is viable here as well.

$\int_1^1\frac{du}{u}=0\neq 2\pi i$.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
EDIT: Erased a bunch of nonsesne

Last edited:

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
Ignore my previous post. It contains a bit of nonsense.

$u = e^{it}$ for $t$ from $0$t o $2 \pi$ is the unit circle.

So $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt {\color {red} \ne } \int_{1}^{1}\frac{1}{u}du$.

But rather $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{u}du$. And we're backing to where we started.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Ignore my previous post. It contains a bit of nonsense.

$u = e^{it}$ for $t$ from $0$t o $2 \pi$ is the unit circle.

So $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt {\color {red} \ne } \int_{1}^{1}\frac{1}{u}du$.

But rather $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{u}du$. And we're backing to where we started.
I just multiplied by the conjugate and obtained the answer without the use of substitution.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
So you said that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt \ \frac{t^{2}-it+1}{t^2-it+1} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t^{3}+3t}{t^4+3t^{2}+1} \ dt + i \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-t^{2}}{t^{4}+3t^{2}+1} \ dt $?

The first integral is easy, but the second integral looks fairly nasty. But that is a valid approach.

But I would still make that substitution to get $\displaystyle \int \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \int \frac{1}{u} \ du = \ln u + C = \ln(t^{2}+it+1) + C$

Then $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \ln(1^{2}+i(1)+1) - \ln(0^{2}+i(0)+1) = \ln(2+i) - \ln(1) = \ln(2+i)$ which is the answer that WolframAlpha gives

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(2t%2Bi)%2F(t^2%2Bit%2B1)+from+0+to+1

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
So you said that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt \ \frac{t^{2}-it+1}{t^2-it+1} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t^{3}+3t}{t^4+3t^{2}+1} \ dt + i \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-t^{2}}{t^{4}+3t^{2}+1} \ dt $?

The first integral is easy, but the second integral looks fairly nasty. But that is a valid approach.

But I would still make that substitution to get $\displaystyle \int \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \int \frac{1}{u} \ du = \ln u + C = \ln(t^{2}+it+1) + C$

Then $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \ln(1^{2}+i(1)+1) - \ln(0^{2}+i(0)+1) = \ln(2+i) - \ln(1) = \ln(2+i)$ which is the answer that WolframAlpha gives

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(2t+i)/(t^2+it+1)+from+0+to+1

Yup that is what I did.
Since u-sub isn't defined for complex integrals, we can't use it even though it may work in some cases.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
Can you quote where in your textbook such a claim is made?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
I do believe you misinterpreted what he said. Because to evaluate every complex integral by breaking it into it's real and imaginary parts will become ridiculously time-consuming.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I do believe you misinterpreted what he said. Because to evaluate every complex integral by breaking it into it's real and imaginary parts will become ridiculously time-consuming.
I don't do that every time. He wanted us to appreciate Cauchy's Integral Formula, Residue Theory, etc. So we were doing these integrals the hard way. I didn't misinterpret. He had a had a brief discussion about it on Friday when he noticed that some students were using it. That is when he gave the counter example of all closed curves will evaluate to 0 when we know that isn't the case.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
But your assertion that making the substitution $u =e^{it}$ would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{1}^{1} \frac{1}{u} \ du$ is false.

That substitution, as I already stated, would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{\gamma} \frac{1}{u} \ du$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
But your assertion that making the substitution $u =e^{it}$ would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{1}^{1} \frac{1}{u} \ du$ is false.

That substitution, as I already stated, would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{\gamma} \frac{1}{u} \ du$
If you do a change of bounds, you get 1 and 1. e^0 = 1 and e^{2\pi i} = 1

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
We made the substitution $u = e^{it}$, and the limits are from $t=0$ to $t= 2 \pi$. Isn't that the definition of the unit circle?