Complex Integral: $\int_0^1$ Calculation

In summary: Yes, the limits of the integral are from $t=0$ to $t=2 \pi$. But the substitution that you made was $u = e^{it}$, so the limits should be from $u=e^{i0} = 1$ to $u=e^{i2 \pi} = 1$. That is why the substitution doesn't work.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitution in complex integrals and the limitations of this method. It is mentioned that the substitution $u = e^{it}$ is not defined for complex integrals and can lead to incorrect results. The conversation also touches on the concept of closed paths and their evaluation to 0, as well as the
Dustinsfl
$\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{2t+i}{t^2+it+1} dt = \int_0^1 \left(\frac{t}{2} + \frac{i}{4} + \frac{5/4}{2t+i}\right) dt = \frac{1}{4} + \frac{5}{8} \ln\left(\sqrt{5}\right) + i\left(\frac{1}{4} + \frac{5}{8}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)$

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{2t+i}{t^2+it+1} dt = \int_0^1 \left(\frac{t}{2} + \frac{i}{4} + \frac{5/4}{2t+i}\right) dt = \frac{1}{4} + \frac{5}{8} \ln\left(\sqrt{5}\right) + i\left(\frac{1}{4} + \tan^{-1}(-2)\right)$

Is this correct?

I don't think it is. Note that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. What does that suggest?

Ackbach said:
I don't think it is. Note that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. What does that suggest?

U-sub isn't defined for Complex integrals because any closed path would be zero. A counter example is 1/z around the unit circle which isn't 0 and is closed path.

What Ackbach suggests is correct because you're integrating with respect to a real variable ($t$), in which case $i$ is just a constant.

dwsmith said:
U-sub isn't defined for Complex integrals because any closed path would be zero. A counter example is 1/z around the unit circle which isn't 0 and is closed path.

Random Variable said:
What Ackbach suggests is correct because you're integrating with respect to a real variable ($t$), in which case $i$ is just a constant.

Also, the denominator is nonzero on the integration path.

Random Variable said:

I think I understand what my professor means. If we substitute,

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt$

The numerator is the derivative of the denominator so substitutions is viable here as well.

$\int_1^1\frac{du}{u}=0\neq 2\pi i$.

EDIT: Erased a bunch of nonsesne

Last edited:
Ignore my previous post. It contains a bit of nonsense.$u = e^{it}$ for $t$ from $0$t o $2 \pi$ is the unit circle.

So $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt {\color {red} \ne } \int_{1}^{1}\frac{1}{u}du$.

But rather $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{u}du$. And we're backing to where we started.

Random Variable said:
Ignore my previous post. It contains a bit of nonsense.$u = e^{it}$ for $t$ from $0$t o $2 \pi$ is the unit circle.

So $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt {\color {red} \ne } \int_{1}^{1}\frac{1}{u}du$.

But rather $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{u}du$. And we're backing to where we started.

I just multiplied by the conjugate and obtained the answer without the use of substitution.

So you said that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt \ \frac{t^{2}-it+1}{t^2-it+1} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t^{3}+3t}{t^4+3t^{2}+1} \ dt + i \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-t^{2}}{t^{4}+3t^{2}+1} \ dt $?

The first integral is easy, but the second integral looks fairly nasty. But that is a valid approach.But I would still make that substitution to get $\displaystyle \int \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \int \frac{1}{u} \ du = \ln u + C = \ln(t^{2}+it+1) + C$

Then $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \ln(1^{2}+i(1)+1) - \ln(0^{2}+i(0)+1) = \ln(2+i) - \ln(1) = \ln(2+i)$ which is the answer that WolframAlpha gives

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(2t%2Bi)%2F(t^2%2Bit%2B1)+from+0+to+1

Random Variable said:
So you said that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt \ \frac{t^{2}-it+1}{t^2-it+1} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t^{3}+3t}{t^4+3t^{2}+1} \ dt + i \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-t^{2}}{t^{4}+3t^{2}+1} \ dt $?

The first integral is easy, but the second integral looks fairly nasty. But that is a valid approach.But I would still make that substitution to get $\displaystyle \int \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \int \frac{1}{u} \ du = \ln u + C = \ln(t^{2}+it+1) + C$

Then $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2t +i}{t^{2}+it+1} \ dt = \ln(1^{2}+i(1)+1) - \ln(0^{2}+i(0)+1) = \ln(2+i) - \ln(1) = \ln(2+i)$ which is the answer that WolframAlpha gives

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(2t+i)/(t^2+it+1)+from+0+to+1
Yup that is what I did.
Since u-sub isn't defined for complex integrals, we can't use it even though it may work in some cases.

Can you quote where in your textbook such a claim is made?

Random Variable said:
Can you quote where in your textbook such a claim is made?

It is made by Richard Foote.

I do believe you misinterpreted what he said. Because to evaluate every complex integral by breaking it into it's real and imaginary parts will become ridiculously time-consuming.

Random Variable said:
I do believe you misinterpreted what he said. Because to evaluate every complex integral by breaking it into it's real and imaginary parts will become ridiculously time-consuming.

I don't do that every time. He wanted us to appreciate Cauchy's Integral Formula, Residue Theory, etc. So we were doing these integrals the hard way. I didn't misinterpret. He had a had a brief discussion about it on Friday when he noticed that some students were using it. That is when he gave the counter example of all closed curves will evaluate to 0 when we know that isn't the case.

But your assertion that making the substitution $u =e^{it}$ would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{1}^{1} \frac{1}{u} \ du$ is false.

That substitution, as I already stated, would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{\gamma} \frac{1}{u} \ du$

Random Variable said:
But your assertion that making the substitution $u =e^{it}$ would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{1}^{1} \frac{1}{u} \ du$ is false.

That substitution, as I already stated, would mean that $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{i e^{it}}{e^{it}} \ dt = \int_{\gamma} \frac{1}{u} \ du$

If you do a change of bounds, you get 1 and 1. e^0 = 1 and e^{2\pi i} = 1

We made the substitution $u = e^{it}$, and the limits are from $t=0$ to $t= 2 \pi$. Isn't that the definition of the unit circle?

Related to Complex Integral: $\int_0^1$ Calculation

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of dealing with real numbers, it involves complex numbers.

How do you calculate a complex integral?

To calculate a complex integral, you first need to determine the function you are integrating and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various methods such as the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy integral formula, or residue theorem to evaluate the integral.

What is the significance of calculating a complex integral?

Calculating a complex integral is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to solve complex problems and make predictions about real-world phenomena.

What are some common challenges in calculating complex integrals?

One common challenge in calculating complex integrals is dealing with singularities, which are points where the function being integrated is undefined. Other challenges include determining the correct path of integration and choosing the appropriate method for evaluating the integral.

Are there any applications of complex integrals in real life?

Yes, complex integrals have many applications in real life, including in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in financial mathematics to model stock market behavior and predict market trends.