Complex equation (for a 9th grader :>)

In summary: I'm going to have to convert it to a power equation.In summary, the equation is trying to solve for l, which is lower case L, from a equation that is looking for t, the time, and τ, the duration. t and τ are both known, and l is unknown. The equation is quadratic in form, and if u^2 is substituted in, l becomes an unknown.
Avathacis
Warning: This is mixed with physics, though all the physics work is done. Only formatting the equation is needed.

Homework Statement

L is needed from this equation:
L-l= 1/2 a(T-τ)2
Given:
t
τ
l

Homework Equations

T=√(2L/a)
a=2l/t2

The Attempt at a Solution

L= 1/[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]l/t2 (([STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]Lt2)/[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]l-2*√((2Lt2)/2l)*τ+τ2 ) + l

(the 2's at 1/2 2l/t^2 and 2lt^2/2l are removed right?)
Completely lost here. I think it would be better to attach a picture no?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Avathacis ! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Sorry, but that's really difficult to read :redface: … can you type it again, putting in spaces, and using the X2 tag just above the Reply box (for the 2)? :smile:

How does it look? :> I can still attach a screenshot of MS Word.

Hi Avathacis! :smile:
Avathacis said:
L= 1/[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]l/t2 (([STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]Lt2)/[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]l-2*√((2Lt2)/2l)*τ*τ2 )

ah, that's better! :biggrin:

(i assume that last * is supposed to be a + ? :wink:)

that's ok (and yes, those 2s do cancel), but

i] where's the "-l" gone?

ii] it's probably easier to leave the ()2 unexpanded.

ok, fix that, and then I suggest you get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by powers of t and l.

(after that, I'm not sure … it looks as if it's going to turn into a nasty quartic equation, but let's wait and see if something easy comes to light)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Avathacis! :smile:

ah, that's better! :biggrin:

(i assume that last * is supposed to be a + ? :wink:)

that's ok (and yes, those 2s do cancel), but

i] where's the "-l" gone?

ii] it's probably easier to leave the ()2 unexpanded.

ok, fix that, and then I suggest you get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by powers of t and l.

(after that, I'm not sure … it looks as if it's going to turn into a nasty quartic equation, but let's wait and see if something easy comes to light)

Err, what -l? Nvm, got your point. Editing.
Btw, thanks a lot for the help. (I fixed the * :p)

Avathacis said:
Warning: This is mixed with physics, though all the physics work is done. Only formatting the equation is needed.

Homework Statement

L is needed from this equation:
L-l= 1/2 a(T-τ)2
Given:
t
τ
l

Homework Equations

T=√(2L/a)
a=2l/t2

The Attempt at a Solution

L= 1/[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]l/t2 (([STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]Lt2)/[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE]l-2*√((2Lt2)/2l)*τ*τ2 )

(the 2's at 1/2 2l/t^2 and 2lt^2/2l are removed right?)
Completely lost here. I think it would be better to attach a picture no?

This is somewhat confusing. Is l lower case L? Also, you have T, t, and τ (Greek letter tau). Are all three of them needed?

Also, I don't see the need to replace a with 2l/t2.

The original equation can be rewritten as
[tex]L - l = \frac{a(T - \tau)^2}{2} = \frac{a(T^2 - 2\tau T + \tau^2)}{2} = \frac{a(2L/a - 2\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + \tau^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow L - l = \frac{a(2L/a - 2\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + \tau^2}{2}[/tex]

This equation is quadratic in form. If you let u^2 = L, it will be a quadratic.

Mark44 said:
This is somewhat confusing. Is l lower case L? Also, you have T, t, and τ (Greek letter tau). Are all three of them needed?

Also, I don't see the need to replace a with 2l/t2.

The original equation can be rewritten as
[tex]L - l = \frac{a(T - \tau)^2}{2} = \frac{a(T^2 - 2\tau T + \tau^2)}{2} = \frac{a(2L/a - 2\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + \tau^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow L - l = \frac{a(2L/a - 2\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + \tau^2}{2}[/tex]

This equation is quadratic in form. If you let u^2 = L, it will be a quadratic.
I) Yes all 3 are needed. There are 3 times.
II) l is lower case L.
III) a is unknown, so it is swapped for 2 known ..err.. letters. It is the same with T.
Also what are we going to do with -l?

But there is no need to replace a that I can see, since it doesn't involve L. If you need to replace it, you can do that later, after you have solved for L.

If you make the substitution I suggested, you will have a u^2 term, a u term and everything else. l (ell) will be in amongst the "everything else."

Mark44 said:
But there is no need to replace a that I can see, since it doesn't involve L. If you need to replace it, you can do that later, after you have solved for L.

If you make the substitution I suggested, you will have a u^2 term, a u term and everything else. l (ell) will be in amongst the "everything else."

I still can't find a way to solve it with your equation :(. Sorry.

Also, my attempt at the solution might be wrong. Try redoing it yourselves :p.

Here's the equation at the end of post 6.
[tex]L - l = \frac{a(2L/a - 2\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + \tau^2)}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2L - 2l = 2L - 2a\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + a\tau^2[/tex]

I didn't realize it before but the 2L terms drop out. Move the term with L in it to one side, and move everything else to the other side. Square both sides to get L out of the radical.

Mark44 said:
Here's the equation at the end of post 6.
[tex]L - l = \frac{a(2L/a - 2\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + \tau^2)}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2L - 2l = 2L - 2a\tau \sqrt{2L/a} + a\tau^2[/tex]

I didn't realize it before but the 2L terms drop out. Move the term with L in it to one side, and move everything else to the other side. Square both sides to get L out of the radical.

Oh, right! This is the "answer". It's pretty much done but i will need to reformat it again after i make a=2l/t2.

Related to Complex equation (for a 9th grader :>)

What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is a mathematical expression that contains both real and imaginary numbers. It is usually written in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

Why are complex equations important?

Complex equations are important because they are used to solve problems in science, engineering, and mathematics that involve both real and imaginary numbers. They also have many practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.

How do you solve a complex equation?

To solve a complex equation, you need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and isolating the variable. You also need to know the properties of complex numbers and how to perform operations with them, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the difference between a real and imaginary number?

A real number is any number that can be plotted on a number line, while an imaginary number is a number that involves the square root of a negative number. Real numbers are used to represent quantities that can be measured, while imaginary numbers are used to represent quantities that cannot be measured, such as the square root of -1.

Can complex equations have more than one solution?

Yes, complex equations can have multiple solutions. This is because the imaginary part of the complex number can take on different values, resulting in different solutions for the equation. These solutions are typically represented on a complex plane, where the real part is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis.