Complex current density of sphere confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving angular momentum and spherical harmonics. The term in brackets can be rewritten in terms of the complex exponential by multiplying the vector components by the imaginary unit i. It is important to keep track of the imaginary units when dealing with complex quantities in calculations.
Shinobii
Hello,

I am a bit confused on how to get this into the proper form,

$$
\begin{eqnarray}
\vec{J} &=& \vec{v}\rho \\
&=& (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}')\rho_o \Theta(R-r') \\
&=& \omega r' \sin(\theta')\rho_o \Theta(R-r')[\cos(\phi')\hat{y} - \sin(\phi')\hat{x}] \\
&=& \vdots \\
J_x + i J_y &=& -i \sqrt{\frac{3}{2 \pi}}\frac{q \omega r'}{R^3}\Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}(\theta', \phi')
\end{eqnarray}
$$

I have tried expanding and such but the algebra does not work out. What am I missing conceptually? I know that the term in the brackets should equate to,

$$
[\cdots] = i e^{i \phi'}
$$

which I can then do some algebra to get the result into spherical harmonics. How does the term in brackets equate to [itex]i e^{i \phi'}?[/itex] Do I simply multiply the [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] term by i?

Hope you can shed some light on this matter!

EDIT

Yep, turns out I simply multiple [itex] \hat{y} [/itex] term by i. I just missed a minus sign! Sorry for the silly post!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

It looks like you are working on a problem involving angular momentum and spherical harmonics. The term in brackets is a vector quantity, and it can be written in terms of the complex exponential as you have noted. In order to get the correct form, you just need to make sure that the vector components are multiplied by the appropriate imaginary unit, in this case i. So yes, you are correct in your solution - multiplying the \hat{y} term by i will give you the desired result.

In general, when dealing with complex quantities, it is important to keep track of the imaginary units and make sure they are properly accounted for in calculations. I'm glad you were able to figure it out and sorry for the confusion! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Complex current density of sphere confusion

1. What is complex current density?

Complex current density refers to the current density vector that is expressed in the complex number form. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the current flow in a particular medium.

2. How is current density calculated for a sphere?

The current density for a sphere can be calculated using the formula J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the current flowing through the sphere, and A is the cross-sectional area of the sphere.

3. What is the difference between current density and current?

Current density refers to the amount of current flowing through a unit area, while current is the flow of electric charge per unit time. In other words, current density is a measure of the concentration of current flow in a specific region.

4. How does the current density vary with distance from the center of a sphere?

The current density is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of a sphere. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the current density decreases and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of complex current density in electromagnetic fields?

Complex current density is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It allows for the analysis of the direction and magnitude of current flow in different mediums, which is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves and fields.