Rotational Kinematics Problem

In summary, to shoot a 27 cm long arrow through a wheel at a minimum speed of 15.88 m/s, the arrow must be travelling at a speed of 6 m/s.
Moxin
A wheel has eight spokes and a radius of 38.0 cm. It is mounted on a fixed axle and is spinning at 2.80 rev/s. You want to shoot a 27.0 cm long arrow through the wheel, parallel to this axle, without hitting any of the spokes. Assume that the arrow and the spokes are very thin and evenly spaced. What minimum speed must the arrow have?

Ok.. This is how I tackled it:

First I converted 2.8 rev/s to rad/s using the equation 1 rev = 2*pi rad and got 17.593 rad/s

Then for the distance of a section of the wheel between the spokes I used the equation s = R*angle where R is the radius, so:

s = (0.38 m)((2*pi rad)/8) = 0.298 rad*m

Then I wasnt sure what I could do to get the minimum speed but I figured I'd find how long it'd take for s to "go by" using the angular velocity.. so I divided s by 17.593 and got 0.0170 seconds.. then I divided the length of the arrow (0.27 m) by 0.0170 seconds and got 15.88 m/s

Apparently that's not the answer. Anyone know what's up ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're making this harder than it has to be. One thing I see is that you lost a unit, when you divided s by w (lowercase omega, the angular velocity) you lost the meters, where'd the meters go? s is a distance along the curve, in meters and dividing it by the angular velocity, well I'm not sure if that is an actual representation of anything, if you divide the circumference (your s*8) by the angular velcoty I believe you get the tangential velcoity.

But anyways I would approach the problem like this, you know how fast the wheel is spinning and you have to get an arrow to pass just after one spoke and just before the next so you need to know how long it takes from when one spoke passes a position to when the next spoke reaches the same position. Now the distance between spokes is 1/8 of a revolution. so take .125rev / 2.8rev/s = .045s Now an arrow is .27m long so .27m / .045s = 6m/s See if that answer is correct.

thanks Zimm, I knew the problem couldn't be as hard as I was makin it (mainly because it was at the beginning of the problem set I was given and those are typically easier), and yeh, your answer worked

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves understanding the relationship between an object's angular velocity, angular acceleration, and rotational position.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular path. In linear kinematics, the distance traveled by an object is measured as displacement, while in rotational kinematics, the distance traveled is measured as angular displacement.

3. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's angular displacement by the time it takes for that change to occur. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of an object's angular displacement, while angular acceleration measures the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. In other words, angular acceleration is the change in an object's angular velocity over time.

5. How can rotational kinematics be applied in real life?

Rotational kinematics has many practical applications, such as in the design of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts, like engines and turbines. It is also used in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating, as well as in the analysis of celestial bodies and their movements.