Complex conjugate an independent variable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of z and z* as two independent variables and their relationship to complex functions. The partial derivatives of z and z* measure the orientation-preserving and orientation-reversing parts of a complex function. Integration over both z and z* is equivalent to integration over the whole complex space. The symbol \wedge represents an anticommutative multiplication, also known as the exterior product. The sign of the product depends on the degrees of the differential forms involved.
Chen
It's very commong to use z and z* as two independent variables, differentiating with respect to one while keeping the other constant. Can you please give me some intuitive insight into this method, and why it works so well? Because every time I see this my first thought is that z and z* are NOT independent, there is a very clear transformation from one to the other...

Thanks,
Chen

Mathematics news on Phys.org
And also, when I see an integration being done over both z and z*, with the integrals being one-dimensional (as far as I can tell, no boundaries are given), am I to understand that this is simply a formal way to say that the integration is done over the whole complex space?

To give a concrete example to my last question, take a look here, at the second identity:
http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/~markh/Teaching/RQF3/node22.html
(this is actually exactly what I'm dealing with)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chen said:
It's very commong to use z and z* as two independent variables, differentiating with respect to one while keeping the other constant. Can you please give me some intuitive insight into this method, and why it works so well? Because every time I see this my first thought is that z and z* are NOT independent, there is a very clear

Indeed, [itex]z[/itex] and [itex]\bar{z}[/itex] are not independent, but they are linear independent. The partial derivatives [itex]\partial /\partial z[/itex] and [itex]\partial /\partial\bar{z}[/itex] measures the orientation-preservering and orientation-reversing parts of a complex function. They can be defined as

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = \lim_{r\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{f(z+re^{it})-f(z)}{re^{it}}dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial\bar{z}} = \lim_{r\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{f(z+re^{it})-f(z)}{re^{-it}}dt[/tex]

Chen said:
And also, when I see an integration being done over both z and z*, with the integrals being one-dimensional (as far as I can tell, no boundaries are given), am I to understand that this is simply a formal way to say that the integration is done over the whole complex space?

Yes. [itex]dzd\bar{z}[/itex] is nothing but [itex]-2i[/itex] times the usual area element. The calculation goes like this:

[tex]dzd\bar{z} = dz\wedge d\bar{z} = (dx+idy)\wedge(dx-idy) = dx\wedge dx -2i\, dx\wedge dy + dy\wedge dy = -2i\, dx\wedge dy = -2i\, dxdy[/itex]

Hmm, pardon my ignorance, but what does that wedge stand for?

Thank you

It is anticommutative multiplication, [itex]a\wedge b = -b\wedge a[/itex]. It is usually called exterior product.

not necessarily, the sign depends on the degrees of the differential forms, it's positive if it deg(da)*deg(db)=even and else is minus.

It depends on how you think about it. Sure, we have

[tex]a\wedge (b\wedge c) = (b\wedge c)\wedge a[/tex]

But that is only because

[tex]a\wedge b\wedge c = -b\wedge a\wedge c = b\wedge c\wedge a[/tex]

The reason to have commuting higher order forms is that such an operation is composed of an even number of anticommuting operations on one-forms.

Related to Complex conjugate an independent variable?

What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a pair of complex numbers with the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

What is an independent variable?

An independent variable is a variable that is not affected by any other factors in an experiment or equation. It is typically represented by the horizontal axis on a graph and is used to determine the value of the dependent variable.

What is the significance of using a complex conjugate as an independent variable?

Using a complex conjugate as an independent variable allows for easier manipulation and analysis of complex numbers. It also helps in simplifying equations and solving for unknown variables.

How is a complex conjugate an independent variable used in mathematics?

In mathematics, complex conjugates are commonly used in the study of complex numbers, differential equations, and signal processing. They are also used in the representation of harmonic functions and in finding roots of polynomial equations.

Can a complex conjugate be an independent variable in real-world applications?

Yes, complex conjugates can be used as independent variables in real-world applications such as electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in modeling physical systems and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.