Complex Circuits Lab Homework: Find Parallel Resistor

In summary: At first you measure voltage and current between A-B, B-C and finally between A-C. From what I dreamt up you can see what some (not at all stupid) people imagine from a relatively simple description!
Sneakatone

Homework Statement

uploaded is the circuit with resistors technically in series.
R1 had a measured value of 160 ohms (from A to B) 0.0617 Amps
R2 had a measured value of 387 ohms (from B to C) 0.025 amps
from A to C the resistance measured is 243.9 ohms 0.041 amps

this means that there is a parallel resistance some where in between but I do not know how to solve to find which is which.

Homework Equations

for series R1+R2...=Rtotal
for parallel (R1*R2)/R1+R2

I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 243.9=162+(R3R4)/R3+R4 assuming one of the resistors are not parallel.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please use the template and follow the guidelines.
For the former: Fill in something under 3.
For the latter: proofread. What is posted now is very incomplete.

BvU said:
Please use the template and follow the guidelines.
For the former: Fill in something under 3.
For the latter: proofread. What is posted now is very incomplete.

sorry I for got my photo , I added what I tried but I am still lost.

Well, you tried. I must admit that this doesn't help me understand what it's all about.
Are all these currents (0.0617, 0.025, 0.041 A) measured at the same time?
I understand A is not Argentina, B is not Belgium and C is not Cambodia, but they might as well be, because you don't mention anything about them...
And R3 and R4 are probably not parachuted in, but for me they appear out of the blue.

My telepathic capabilities are virtually zero. Most other potential helpers have the same "problem". Try to help us help you ! Proofread critically !

BvU said:
Well, you tried. I must admit that this doesn't help me understand what it's all about.
Are all these currents (0.0617, 0.025, 0.041 A) measured at the same time?
I understand A is not Argentina, B is not Belgium and C is not Cambodia, but they might as well be, because you don't mention anything about them...
And R3 and R4 are probably not parachuted in, but for me they appear out of the blue.

My telepathic capabilities are virtually zero. Most other potential helpers have the same "problem". Try to help us help you ! Proofread critically !

sorry for not being clear in the picture A,B,C are just node indicators for the resistors.
0.0617, 0.025, 0.041 Are the amp measurements in the specified resistor .

And how about the current directions (A->B or so ...) because if all currents have the same directions then there must be a mistake in measurements because the current between A and C is smaller than current through R1. If there is any parallel resirtance to R1 or R2 the overal current would be higher. And isn't it posible to measure voltages between all nodes. It would tell us much more about any parallel conections.

Just fishing: You were given a mystery box with three sockets for banana plugs or something. They tell you that inside are some resistors, nothing else. You connect a voltage of some 10 V and measure voltage and current. From A-B, B-C and finally from A-C.

Assignment: what is in there, how is it connected, what are the values of the individual resistances ?

Is this a rendering of what this is all about? If so, perhaps you should have helped us a bit more than you actually did.

Is this completely wrong? In that case put us right by giving us a complete, unambiguous story.
(from what I dreamed up you can see what some (not at all stupid) people imagine from a relatively simple description!)

about the current directions
Can you reassure Pavlo and me in this respect ?

Attachments

• BoxABC.jpg
    BoxABC.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 409

Related to Complex Circuits Lab Homework: Find Parallel Resistor

1. What is the purpose of finding parallel resistors in a complex circuit?

The purpose of finding parallel resistors in a complex circuit is to determine the overall equivalent resistance of the circuit. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of current and voltage in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance for parallel resistors?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance for parallel resistors is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. Can parallel resistors have different values?

Yes, parallel resistors can have different values as long as they are connected in parallel. This means that they share the same two nodes and have a common voltage across them.

4. How do you physically connect parallel resistors in a circuit?

Parallel resistors are connected by having one end of each resistor connected to the same node and the other end connected to a different node. This creates multiple paths for current to flow through the circuit.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel resistors?

Series resistors are connected end-to-end and have a single path for current to flow through, whereas parallel resistors are connected side-by-side and have multiple paths for current to flow through. Series resistors have an equivalent resistance that is the sum of the individual resistances, while parallel resistors have an equivalent resistance that is less than the smallest individual resistance.