Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Complex Analysis Text Book Help

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hello MHB,

I want to start reading Complex Analysis. I have never read any textbook on this subject.
I have good background in Algebra, Linear Algebra, Point-set Topology and Real Analysis. Right now I want to prepare for the subject GRE in Mathematics so please suggest a book keeping that i mind. I don't want to start with an advanced book.

Thanks.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I recommend Gamelin. It's labeled an undergraduate text, and it does start from the beginning, with clear explanations. But it also does some significantly more advanced stuff in the later parts, to the point of being at the graduate level.

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Thanks DW!

But I think since its a graduate text it must be pretty advanced. I am just a beginner at complex analysis so I don't want to be overwhelmed by the subject which is a mistake I have committed in the past with other branches of mathematics.
If you start with ch 1, it will all make sense.

It has part one basic theory which is what you need for the GRE subject test. Ch1 and Ch2 are found in all undergrad versions but Serge Lang incorporates some abstract and homology into his sstuff later on.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
The best complex analysis book ever Fundamentals of Complex Analysis , I am sure you will never regret. I read it without having any analysis background and I was able to follow . Many complex analysis books are becoming like calculus books and others are very brief especially new books .

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hello MHB,

I want to start reading Complex Analysis. I have never read any textbook on this subject.
I have good background in Algebra, Linear Algebra, Point-set Topology and Real Analysis. Right now I want to prepare for the subject GRE in Mathematics so please suggest a book keeping that i mind. I don't want to start with an advanced book.

Thanks.
Hi caffeinmachine, :)

Here are some books that I we use in our undergraduate complex analysis courses. I have only used the first book and it seems quite nice as an introduction to complex analysis.

ISBN 9780073051949 | Complex Variables and Applications

ISBN 0070006571 | Complex Analysis

ISBN 0387903283 | Functions of One Complex Variable (Graduate Texts in Mathematics - Vol 11) (v. 1)

By the way I know about a nice book that might help you with the GRE subject test. I am linking it here in case you don't know about it already. :)

Cracking the GRE Mathematics Subject Test, 4th Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation): Princeton Review: 9780375429729: Amazon.com: Books