Time as a field, space as a particle

In summary, the conversation explores the concept of multidimensional universes and the idea of parallel universes. The speaker shares their own interpretation and asks for feedback from others who may have more knowledge on the topic. Their interpretation suggests that every particle in the universe exists in multiple states, with time being the separating factor. This view challenges the idea of separate parallel universes and instead suggests a cascading field of probabilities in higher dimensions. The speaker acknowledges their limited knowledge on the subject and seeks clarification on their interpretation.
RuroumiKenshin
I found this interesting post on another forum:

I've been interested in multidimensional concepts and the idea of parallel universes for a long time, and I've got my own interpretation of it which I would like to include here, so that those of you who know a lot more about this than I do, can tell me how far off base I am.

At any particular moment in time, if it was possible to reduce time to a smallest unit, every particle in the universe exists in one of many possible states, and in every moment in time every possible state exists as a different dimension, reducing the universe itself into sort of a particle when viewed outside time as every possible state of that universe-particle becomes analagous to the possible states of a particle within the universe. The seperating factor between these states being time, with which the universe-particle becomes more like a field of energy.

A universe within time can be defined as an arbitrary line drawn from one point in this field to another, connecting quantum states and potentialities between them. So thinking in terms of parallel universes (one where Hitler lost the war, one where he won, etc) is incorrect because instead of separate 'threads' or 'bubbles' you have a cascading (propagating?) field of probabilities in higher dimensions, and the universe only exists as a separate object from other universes when time is not a factor.

Now bearing in mind everything I know about this kind of thing I've only read in various books, and am a layman when it comes to the math, I wonder if this is a correct interpretation or not, and if not, why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't make enough sense to even be wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of time as a field and space as a particle?

The concept refers to the idea that time is a fundamental field that permeates the entire universe, while space is made up of discrete particles. This concept is based on the theory of relativity, which suggests that space and time are interconnected and can be seen as different aspects of the same thing.

2. How does this concept differ from the traditional view of time and space?

The traditional view sees time and space as separate and independent entities. In this concept, time is seen as a continuous and unchanging dimension, while space is seen as a continuous and infinite expanse. However, the concept of time as a field and space as a particle challenges this view and suggests that they are interconnected and dynamic.

3. What evidence supports the idea of time as a field and space as a particle?

One of the key pieces of evidence is the observed phenomenon of time dilation, where time passes at different rates depending on the relative speed and gravitational pull of an object. This suggests that time is not constant, but rather influenced by the surrounding space. Additionally, experiments in quantum mechanics have shown that particles can exist in multiple places at the same time, further supporting the idea of space as a particle.

4. How does this concept impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of time as a field and space as a particle challenges our traditional understanding of the nature of time and space. It suggests that they are not absolute, but rather relative and interconnected. This has implications for our understanding of gravity, the structure of the universe, and the concept of time travel.

5. Are there any practical applications of this concept?

The concept of time as a field and space as a particle is still a theoretical concept and has not yet been fully proven. However, if it is confirmed, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as physics and astronomy.