Complex analysis/holomorphic/conformal map

In summary, the conversation discusses a bounded domain in the complex plane and a holomorphic automorphism mapping within that domain. It is proven that the sequence of repeated compositions of this automorphism has a subsequence that either converges to a constant or to another automorphism within the domain. It is also shown that if the entire sequence converges to a function, then the original automorphism must be constant.
henry1964
D is be a bounded domain in the complex plane. Suppose f : D -->D is a holomorphic automorphism (conformal bijection). Now define f_n(z) = f(f(f(f ..(z) (composed n times ).
Trying (and failing) to show:

(i) the sequence {f_n} has a subsequence that converges either to a constant
or to an automorphism of D

also

(ii) If the whole sequence {f_n} converges to g, then f(z)= z identically. $f(z)\equiv z

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Henry.
I'll give a rough outline of a proof .
1. Let z0 be in D & f be non-constant. Since D is bounded, so is {f_n(z0)}. Choose a convergent subsequence of this , say {f_nk(z0)},k=1,2,...with f_nk(z0) -> w .
2. Choose zk ->z0 with f_nk(zk)=w(this is possible as the inverse of f is continuous & f_nk is obtained by finite iteration).
3. g_k(z) = f_nk(z)- w vanishes at zk & is bounded at z0. Choose a small neighbourhood of z0 in which a subsequence g_ki converges uniformly (to g(z),say) .
4. g is continuous. Since all f_nki are analytic, g can be continued analytically onto D.
5. Let g(z1) =g(z2) = s with distinct z1,z2. Let N be such that g_N(z1) is very close to s. Choose disjoint disks B1,B2 containing z1,z2 making g_N(B1) & g_N(B2) disjoing.Unless g = s identically, this is a contradiction.Thus, f_nk(z)-> w+s =constant.
6. If the range of g(z) +w didn't contain a disk in D, some f_nk would not be surjective.
Thus, g is surjective & by (5.) bijective.
For part (ii), note that f(g(z)) =g(z). If g is bijective, we are through.I
f not, f is constant, contrary to the very first supposition.
I hope this wasn't too hazy. If D is compact or a closed disk, the argument could be simplified ; f will have a fixed point by Brower's theorem.

Thank you Eynstone.
I am sure it all is there, but I am just trying to digest it in my own pace now.

Related to Complex analysis/holomorphic/conformal map

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the analysis of complex numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1.

2. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. This means that it has a well-defined derivative at every point, and its derivative is also a complex-valued function.

3. How are holomorphic functions related to conformal maps?

Conformal maps are functions that preserve angles between curves. In complex analysis, it has been proven that all holomorphic functions are conformal maps. This means that the angles between curves are preserved when transformed by a holomorphic function.

4. What are some applications of complex analysis and conformal maps?

Complex analysis and conformal maps have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also useful in solving problems in heat transfer, elasticity, and aerodynamics.

5. How do you determine if a function is conformal?

To determine if a function is conformal, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations state that a function is conformal if and only if its real and imaginary parts satisfy a certain set of partial differential equations. Alternatively, you can also check if the function preserves angles between curves in its domain.