Completing the square / Changing format of equation

In summary: If the answer is negative, then the parentheses are reversed. -2(x2- 4x)+ 5= -2x2- 4+(x-a)2 = -2x2- 8x- 5 = (-2x- 8) + 5 = 5x In summary, the person is looking for an equation that they can use to solve a equation in the form y = a(x - p)^{2} + q . They are having trouble with the - sign and the piece that they need to add in order for the equation to be equivalent.
danielle36
I'm supposed to use the method of completeing the square to write an equation in the form [tex] y = a(x - p)^{2} + q [/tex].

Here's one of the equations: [tex] y = x^{2} + 6x [/tex]
and another: [tex] y = -2x^{2} + 8x + 5 [/tex]

I really don't know where to start, which is why I can't include any work... The main problem here is I don't know how to get the equation in the [tex] (x - p)^{2} [/tex] format. I can complete the square but its the - sign that's throwing me off.
If someone could just explain how to go about doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
danielle36 said:
I'm supposed to use the method of completeing the square to write an equation in the form [tex] y = a(x - p)^{2} + q [/tex].

Here's one of the equations: [tex] y = x^{2} + 6x [/tex]
and another: [tex] y = -2x^{2} + 8x + 5 [/tex]

I really don't know where to start, which is why I can't include any work... The main problem here is I don't know how to get the equation in the [tex] (x - p)^{2} [/tex] format. I can complete the square but its the - sign that's throwing me off.
If someone could just explain how to go about doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

theres a completeing the square formula but the first one is very obvious so i'll do it for you

it'll be easier to see if you rewrite this
[tex] y = (ax^2-2xp +p^2) -p^2 [/tex]
then your first problem is

[tex] y = x^{2} + 6x + 9 - 9 = (x^2 +3)^2 - 9 [/tex]

danielle36,

Other messages have mentioned this; but if you could find a graphical representation of Completing The Square, you will probably understand the process very well. The idea of converting the equation from general form into standard form will require subtracting the "piece" that you add in order for the expression to be equivalent to the original expression.

ice109 said:
[tex] y = x^{2} + 6x + 9 - 9 = (x^2 +3)^2 - 9 [/tex]

...just fixing a typo. the last x should not be squared on the far RHS
[tex]
(x+3)^2-9
[/tex]

(x-a)2= x2- 2ax+ a2

If you want to change x2- 6x to a perfect square what must "a" be? You know that -6x= -2ax.

-2x2+ 8x+ 5 is a little harder. Write it as -2(x2- 4x)+ 5. Now look just at the x2- 4x. Remembering that -2ax= -4x, what is a? What is a2? Add and subtract a2 inside the parentheses and then take part outside the parentheses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Completing the square / Changing format of equation

1. What is the purpose of completing the square?

The purpose of completing the square is to rewrite a quadratic equation in a standard form, which makes it easier to solve and identify key features of the equation such as the vertex and solutions.

2. How do you complete the square?

To complete the square, take half of the coefficient of the middle term and square it. Add this value to both sides of the equation to create a perfect square trinomial. Then, factor the trinomial and solve for the variable.

3. Can completing the square be used to solve any type of equation?

No, completing the square can only be used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations with a variable raised to the second power and no other higher powers.

4. When is it necessary to complete the square?

Completing the square is necessary when solving quadratic equations that cannot be easily factored or when finding the vertex of a parabola.

5. Is completing the square the only method for solving quadratic equations?

No, there are other methods for solving quadratic equations such as factoring, using the quadratic formula, and graphing. However, completing the square is a useful tool for solving certain types of equations and identifying key features of quadratic equations.