Completeness relations confusion

In summary, completeness relations are sets of functions that allow you to write down arbitrary functions as a sum of these functions with coefficients given by an inner product. The difference between x and x' is not important in this context. The second equation, known as Green's function, has a different interpretation as the wavefunction resulting from a unit excitation at x'.
ehrenfest
I am confused about completeness relations. I thought a completeness relation was something like:

[tex] I = \sum_{i = 1}^n |i><i| = \sum_{i=1}^n P_i [[/tex]

where P_i is the projection operator onto i. Now I saw this called a completeness relation as well:

[tex]\delta(x - x') = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \Psi_n(x) \Psi_n(x')[/tex]

How is that the same as my first equation? What is the difference between x and x'? The second equation can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_function

Likes Zacarias Nason
Physics news on Phys.org
As set of functions [itex]\psi_n[/itex] being complete means that you can write down arbitrary function (of some kind, so not really arbitrary) as

[tex]
f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n \psi_n(x)
[/tex]

where the coefficients are given by an inner product

[tex]
c_n = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx'\; \psi^*_n(x')f(x').
[/tex]

But you can rewrite this as

[tex]
f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \Big(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx'\; \psi^*_n(x')f(x')\Big) \psi_n(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx'\; \Big(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \psi^*_n(x')\psi_n(x)\Big) f(x')
[/tex]

so there you see that it is pretty much the same as the sum being a delta function.

Likes Zacarias Nason
I see how it works mathematically thanks. Still a little confused about "how to think about" x and x'...

In the completeness relation there is really nothing to think about, as far as I'm aware... For the Green's function there is an interpretation which is something like "the wavefunction at [itex]x[/itex] resulting from a unit excitation applied at [itex]x^{\prime}[/itex]."

Related to Completeness relations confusion

1. What is completeness relation confusion?

Completeness relation confusion refers to a common misunderstanding in quantum mechanics where the concept of completeness relations, which are mathematical expressions used to describe the behavior of particles, is not fully understood.

2. How is completeness relation confusion different from other quantum mechanics concepts?

Completeness relation confusion is unique in that it specifically relates to the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, rather than a physical concept like wave-particle duality or uncertainty principle.

3. What causes completeness relation confusion?

Completeness relation confusion can be caused by a lack of understanding of the mathematical principles and equations used in quantum mechanics, as well as a lack of background in linear algebra and complex numbers.

4. How does completeness relation confusion impact scientific research?

Completeness relation confusion can lead to incorrect interpretations and calculations in quantum mechanics, which can have a significant impact on scientific research and the development of new technologies.

5. How can completeness relation confusion be avoided?

To avoid completeness relation confusion, it is important to have a strong understanding of the mathematical principles and equations used in quantum mechanics, as well as a solid background in linear algebra and complex numbers. Seeking guidance from experts and continuously studying and practicing these concepts can also help prevent confusion.