Completeness axiom as having no holes in the set

In summary, the completeness axiom states that any bounded set of real numbers has a least upper bound, ensuring that there are no "holes" or missing numbers in the set. This is in contrast to the intuitive explanation of the completeness axiom as having "no holes" in the set, which is not a rigorous definition. It is possible for a set to be complete without satisfying the A<C<B property, as demonstrated by the example [0,1]\cup [2,3].
Bipolarity
Completeness axiom as having "no holes" in the set

My textbook describes the completeness axiom as essential to showing that there are no "holes or gaps" in the real numbers. That is, for any two reals A and B, there exists a real C such that A<C<B.

Of course, we all know that the actual statement of the completeness axiom is that any bounded set of real numbers has a least upper bound.

I was wondering, how can we use the explicit statement of the completeness axiom to show that there are no "holes or gaps" in the reals? Is it possible or did my textbook just use this as an intuitive explanation for the completeness axiom?

Thanks all!

BiP

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Bipolarity said:
My textbook describes the completeness axiom as essential to showing that there are no "holes or gaps" in the real numbers. That is, for any two reals A and B, there exists a real C such that A<C<B.

Of course, we all know that the actual statement of the completeness axiom is that any bounded set of real numbers has a least upper bound.

I was wondering, how can we use the explicit statement of the completeness axiom to show that there are no "holes or gaps" in the reals? Is it possible or did my textbook just use this as an intuitive explanation for the completeness axiom?

Thanks all!

BiP

The intuitive textbook explanation is rubbish. Even the rational numbers satisfy that between any two points A and B, there exists a rational C such that A<C<B. And of course, the rational numbers are not complete. So the completeness axiom is not needed at all to show this fact.

Of course, the intuition that complete space has "no holes" is a good intuition. But you should be very careful with specifying what exactly is a "hole".

micromass said:
The intuitive textbook explanation is rubbish. Even the rational numbers satisfy that between any two points A and B, there exists a rational C such that A<C<B. And of course, the rational numbers are not complete. So the completeness axiom is not needed at all to show this fact.

Of course, the intuition that complete space has "no holes" is a good intuition. But you should be very careful with specifying what exactly is a "hole".

It must then be the case that I did not comprehend what my textbook meant to be a "hole". So what is the "hole" ? My textbook doesn't explain it, perhaps you might know.

Also, if a set of numbers is complete, then does it necessarily mean that it satisfies the A<C<B property that I outlined above?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
It must then be the case that I did not comprehend what my textbook meant to be a "hole". So what is the "hole" ? My textbook doesn't explain it, perhaps you might know.

It's just intuition. I don't think it is meant to be very formal. Maybe you could rigorously define what a "hole" is though.

The idea is the following: consider the following sequence

[tex]3,~3.1,~3.14,~3.141,~3.1415,...[/tex]

This is a sequence of numbers and it appears that as you go through the sequence, you get closer to a certain number. However, if we work in the rationals, then the limit of this sequence (i.e. the number [itex]\pi[/itex]) is not contained in the rationals. So you can get very close to [itex]\pi[/itex], but you can never actually be [itex]\pi[/itex]. Thus we say that the number [itex]\pi[/itex] is a missing number (or hole). So a missing number is a number that is not in the set but where you can get close to. The completeness axiom states exactly that there are no missing numbers.

Also, if a set of numbers is complete, then does it necessarily mean that it satisfies the A<C<B property that I outlined above?

No: consider [itex][0,1]\cup [2,3][/itex]. This is complete, but it doesn't satisfy the above property.

Yes the holes the real numbers do not have are equivalently cuts, or limits, or least upper bounds. Just having numbers everywhere is being dense, not complete.

Related to Completeness axiom as having no holes in the set

1. What is the Completeness Axiom in mathematics?

The Completeness Axiom, also known as the Dedekind Completeness Axiom, is a fundamental principle in mathematics that states that any nonempty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound, or supremum. In simpler terms, it states that there are no "holes" in the set of real numbers.

2. Why is the Completeness Axiom important?

The Completeness Axiom is important because it guarantees that the real numbers form a complete and ordered field, which allows for the development of calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts. It also allows for the precise definition of important concepts such as continuity and convergence.

3. How is the Completeness Axiom used in mathematics?

The Completeness Axiom is used in various areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of limits, finding solutions to equations, and establishing the convergence of sequences and series.

4. What is an example of a set with no holes according to the Completeness Axiom?

An example of a set with no holes, or a set that satisfies the Completeness Axiom, is the set of real numbers between 0 and 1. This set has a least upper bound of 1 and does not have any gaps or missing numbers.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Completeness Axiom?

No, the Completeness Axiom is a fundamental principle in mathematics and is universally accepted. It is considered to be one of the most important and non-negotiable axioms in mathematics, and its validity has been extensively tested and proven in various mathematical fields.