Compiling C++ Remotely with SSH on Windows XP

• C/C++
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Windows
In summary, compiling C++ remotely with SSH on Windows XP allows for remote access to a Windows computer from a different device, such as a phone or laptop, to compile and run C++ programs. This process involves setting up an SSH server on the Windows XP computer and using an SSH client on the remote device to connect and execute commands. This allows for a more convenient and flexible way to compile and test C++ programs without being physically present at the computer.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I would like to use SSH to compile my C++ files remotely in my school's lab. I have never done this before, but I understand that I need an SSH client.
So I looked at these:
http://www.openssh.com/windows.html

I am on Windows XP. Is there one you would recommend?
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
PuTTy http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
(and you can run it off a flash drive, in case you have to use another computer).
PuTTy also supports ssh tunneling.
UPDATE: 2007-01-24 PuTTY 0.59 is released!

..and I use WinSCP and FileZilla for secure file transfers.

Last edited:

Related to Compiling C++ Remotely with SSH on Windows XP

1. What is the purpose of compiling C++ remotely with SSH on Windows XP?

The purpose of compiling C++ remotely with SSH on Windows XP is to allow developers to compile their code on a remote server or machine using the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol. This allows for faster and more efficient compilation, especially for larger projects.

2. How do I set up remote compiling with SSH on Windows XP?

To set up remote compiling with SSH on Windows XP, you will need to install a SSH client, such as PuTTY, and a C++ compiler, such as GCC, on your local machine. You will also need to have access to a remote server or machine with SSH enabled. Once these prerequisites are met, you can establish a SSH connection and use the C++ compiler on the remote machine to compile your code.

3. Can I use any C++ compiler with remote compiling via SSH on Windows XP?

Yes, you can use any C++ compiler that is compatible with your remote server or machine. However, it is recommended to use the same compiler on both your local and remote machines to avoid any compatibility issues.

4. Are there any security concerns with remote compiling via SSH on Windows XP?

SSH is a secure protocol that encrypts data during transmission, so there are minimal security concerns when using it for remote compiling. However, it is important to ensure that your SSH connection is properly configured and secure to prevent any unauthorized access to your code.

5. Can I use remote compiling with SSH on Windows XP for collaborative programming?

Yes, remote compiling with SSH on Windows XP can be used for collaborative programming. Multiple developers can connect to the same remote server or machine and work on the same codebase, allowing for efficient collaboration and version control.