Competition that i need to pass

In summary, the conversation includes a request for help with math questions, a hint for finding the number of primes that make a specific equation a positive prime, a question about finding a specific term in a sequence, and a question about finding the area of an enclosed region on a graph. The person asking for help is preparing for the United States of America Math Olympiad for Highschool Students and is seeking easy-to-understand solutions and hints.
tongos
I'm hoping on making the United States of America Math Olympiad for Highschool Students this year and i need some help on these questions. Future help will be appreciated. Please make the solutions easy to understand and to follow, please. Hints would be the best.

how many primes, p, make 13p^4-888 a positive prime?
Thoughts: I have no idea of where to begin. A hint would be nice on this one.

Let a1, a2, a3... be the numbers which can be written as a sum of one of more different powers of 4 with a1<a2<a3... e.g. 4^0=a1, 4^1=a2, 4^0+4^1=a3. find a70

Thoughts: It sounds to me that its going by the binomial theorem for example, 210. 3!/(1!)(2!)= 3 ways of having only one term. 3!/(2!)(1!)= 3 ways of having two terms. 1 way of having all. I hope I am on the right track. So do i set up the sigma:
_x_
\ x!/{(x-n)!n!} = 70, or around there.
/__
n=1
Im so lost!

The sides of triangle ABC have length AB=7, BC=8, and AC=9. The distance between the incenter and the orthocenter of triangle ABC is

Thoughts: So the incenter is where the medians intersect?, and the orthocenter is?

Thanks in advance, -Matt

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Unless I'm missing something about the second one, it seems a lot easier than the other two. It just comes down to finding 70 in binary and then converting back to base ten using 4 in the place of 2. For the third one, www.mathworld.com will have the definitions you need.

okay, i think i got number two, it should be 4116. note that the 64th term is 4^6. And its easy to figure out from there.

Hints would still be helpful on the prime question.

how many primes, p, make 13p^4-888 a positive prime?

Hint: look at 13p^4 - 888 modulo some small integer...

tongos, where are these questions from ? Are they part of a test/competition ?

artofproblemsolving.com. I'm not at school right now, i stayed home today so I am doing study in order to make the USAMO.

Another question that bugs me is this one...
5. Compute, to the nearest integer, the area of the region enclosed by the graph of 13x^2-20xy+52y^2-10x+52y=563.

I figured that i should solve for the center of the ellipse and then begin to maximize x^2+y^2...

Related to Competition that i need to pass

What is competition in science?

Competition in science refers to the process of comparing and contrasting different theories, experiments, or ideas in order to determine which one is the most valid or accurate.

Why is competition important in science?

Competition is important in science because it allows for the testing and refinement of ideas, leading to advancements and breakthroughs in knowledge and understanding.

How does competition drive innovation in science?

Competition drives innovation in science by encouraging scientists to come up with new and creative solutions to problems, as well as motivating them to constantly improve upon existing ideas and theories.

What are the potential drawbacks of competition in science?

Some potential drawbacks of competition in science include the potential for bias or dishonesty in order to gain an advantage, as well as the possibility of hindering collaboration and teamwork among scientists.

How can scientists ensure fair competition in their field?

Scientists can ensure fair competition in their field by adhering to ethical standards, being transparent in their methods and findings, and actively promoting collaboration and open communication among colleagues.