Comparison Between Two Results

• Thread starter sams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the conversation is about the use of different terms to describe agreements between obtained values and values in literature. The speaker is seeking advice on whether the terms "excellent" and "very good" can be used in addition to "good" for agreements with relative errors below 10%. They also mention the importance of considering errors in the results when evaluating agreements. BvU provides a response discussing the concept of hypothesis testing and the relevance of considering errors in comparisons.
sams
Gold Member
Hello Everyone,

I am performing comparisons between our obtained values with the values presented in the literature. These comparisons will be presented in our future paper. Usually, every relative error or a discrepancy below 10% is considered to be a "good" agreement in the Molecular Physics framework. I was wondering whether I can use "excellent" and "very good" in addition to "good" agreement in my comparisons that show relative errors below 10%.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sams

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sams,

You mention two results. And a relative discrepancy. But nothing about the errors in the results.

E.g. 500 +/- 120 agrees very well with 600 +/- 120, even though the discrepancy is 20 %.

491 +/-2 differs significantly from 500 +/- 3, even though the discrepancy is only 2%.

I suppose you want to read up a bit on hypothesis testing and such.

Hi BvU,

Thank you so much for your clear explanation...

Regards

Related to Comparison Between Two Results

1. What is a comparison between two results?

A comparison between two results is a method of analyzing and evaluating data by examining the similarities and differences between two sets of data. This is often used in scientific experiments to determine the effectiveness or validity of a particular hypothesis or treatment.

2. Why is it important to compare two results?

Comparing two results allows for a more thorough understanding of the data and helps to identify any patterns or trends that may exist. It also allows for the evaluation of the reliability and accuracy of the results.

3. How do you compare two results?

To compare two results, you must first determine the variables being measured and then analyze the data using statistical methods such as mean, median, or standard deviation. You can also create visual representations, such as graphs or charts, to help compare the data.

4. What are the limitations of comparing two results?

One limitation of comparing two results is that it may not always provide a complete understanding of the data, as there may be other variables or factors that were not considered. Additionally, the results may be influenced by external factors or biases, leading to inaccurate conclusions.

5. How can comparing two results be used in real-world applications?

Comparing two results can be used in various real-world applications, such as in medicine to compare the effectiveness of different treatments, in marketing to compare the success of different advertising strategies, or in environmental studies to compare the impact of different actions on the environment.