Comparing Uncertainty of Two Results in Conclusion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results in a conclusion. The two results come from two different independent variables and there is difficulty in explaining the results. Suggestions include using a Student's t test to show the difference of means is not significant, stating that the 72 rated golf ball probably has a higher power transfer ratio but there is still considerable doubt, and mentioning that the absolute uncertainty is less than the difference in uncertainty, making the results unreliable. No graph is needed to describe the uncertainty when it is larger than the difference.
golfz
I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results. I have to write a conclusion and I find it difficult to explain. Even now it may seem unclear as to what I am referring to so I will provide an example. This is directly from my conclusion.

'The 72 rated golf ball had a higher power transfer ratio of 1.482 (±0.197) and that of the 98 rated ball had a ratio of 1.343 (±0.287).'

The two results 'overlap'. How do I refer to this? These are two different results for two difference independent variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
golfz said:
I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results. I have to write a conclusion and I find it difficult to explain. Even now it may seem unclear as to what I am referring to so I will provide an example. This is directly from my conclusion.

'The 72 rated golf ball had a higher power transfer ratio of 1.482 (±0.197) and that of the 98 rated ball had a ratio of 1.343 (±0.287).'

The two results 'overlap'. How do I refer to this? These are two different results for two difference independent variables.

I don't know what they are looking for, but I would say that the 72 probably has a higher power transfer ratio but considerable doubt remains. The exact probability that the 98 is better is hard to calculate, so I think they don't want that. Maybe you could draw a graph that would demonstrate the uncertainty.

golfz said:

If you're doing a single comparison like this, you should use a Student's t test. In this case it will show the difference of means is not significant.

BBB

PatrickPowers, I was looking for something similar to you answer 'the 72 probably has a higher power transfer ratio but considerable doubt remains'.
I also found on the internet something like 'the absolute uncertainty is less than the difference in uncertainty hence it cannot be fully reliable'. I was looking for an answer like that however I still am not sure if that is right. There is no need to make any graph, I am just looking for a way to describe it when the uncertainty is larger than the difference.

It is important to accurately and clearly convey the results of your experiment in your conclusion. In this case, it seems that the uncertainty ranges for the two results are overlapping, indicating that there is some overlap in the possible values for the power transfer ratio between the two rated golf balls. To refer to this in your conclusion, you could state something along the lines of: "The results for the 72 rated golf ball showed a higher power transfer ratio (1.482 ± 0.197) compared to the 98 rated ball (1.343 ± 0.287), with some overlap in the uncertainty ranges." This acknowledges the overlap while also highlighting the difference between the two results. Additionally, you could consider including a visual representation of the uncertainty ranges in your conclusion to help clarify the concept for your readers.

Related to Comparing Uncertainty of Two Results in Conclusion

1. How do you determine the uncertainty of two results?

To determine the uncertainty of two results, you must first calculate the uncertainty of each individual result. This can be done by finding the standard deviation or confidence interval of each result. Once you have the uncertainty for each result, you can compare them to see which has a larger uncertainty.

2. Is it important to compare the uncertainty of two results?

Yes, it is important to compare the uncertainty of two results because it gives us an idea of how reliable and precise the results are. If one result has a significantly larger uncertainty than the other, it may indicate that the data is less precise and may not be as reliable as the other result.

3. Can the uncertainty of two results be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the uncertainty of two results to be equal. This means that both results have a similar level of precision and reliability. However, it is more common for the uncertainty of two results to be different.

4. How does comparing uncertainty help in drawing conclusions?

Comparing uncertainty helps in drawing conclusions by providing a better understanding of the reliability and precision of the results. If the uncertainty of one result is significantly larger than the other, it may indicate that there are other factors at play that could affect the outcome. It also allows for a more informed interpretation of the data and can help determine the significance of the results.

5. Are there any limitations to comparing uncertainty of two results?

Yes, there are limitations to comparing uncertainty of two results. The uncertainty of a result is affected by many factors, such as sample size, experimental design, and measurement techniques. Therefore, comparing the uncertainty of two results may not always provide a complete understanding of the reliability and precision of the data. It is important to consider other factors as well when drawing conclusions.