Comparing Two Stones: Solving the Mystery of Height and Time

In summary: I've tried different methods and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been kicking myself in the head all day trying to figure this one out. I'm completely bewildered.:uhh:In summary, a stone is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 43.00 m/s at time t=0. A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 2.250 seconds later and at what time are the two stones at the same height? The two stones are at the same height 5.5 seconds after being thrown.
ZoomZoom6
I've been kicking myself in the head all day trying to figure this one out. I'm completely bewildered.:rolleyes: Please help meeee!

A stone is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 43.00 m/s at time t=0. A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 2.250 seconds later. At what time are the two stones at the same height?

AND:

At what height do the two stones pass each other?

*Just need some help setting it up. I've never done an equation comparing two objects before.*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ZoomZoom6 said:
*Just need some help setting it up. I've never done an equation comparing two objects before.*

For one object you can write an equation relating its height h1, and the time elapsed from the time it was thrown t1. You can write the same sort of equation relating h2 and t2. From here you have two equations and four unknowns (h1,t1,h2,t2)

A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 2.250 seconds later means that t2=t1+2.25s. This is your third equation.

Think about the mathematical relationship between h1 and h2 when the two stones are at the same height. This should give you your fourth equation.

You will now have 4 equations and 4 unknowns, which means you can have enough equations to deduce all the unknowns.

atyy said:
For one object you can write an equation relating its height h1, and the time elapsed from the time it was thrown t1. You can write the same sort of equation relating h2 and t2. From here you have two equations and four unknowns (h1,t1,h2,t2)

A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 2.250 seconds later means that t2=t1+2.25s. This is your third equation.

Think about the mathematical relationship between h1 and h2 when the two stones are at the same height. This should give you your fourth equation.

You will now have 4 equations and 4 unknowns, which means you can have enough equations to deduce all the unknowns.

I'm not sure I'm totally following you. Both H1 and H2 will be the same since that corresponds to the maximum height they reach, which I got to be 94.34 meters. I also calculated the time it took the first stone thrown to go up and back down to where it started from. t1=0 (starting point) & t1=8.78 seconds (finish point).

EDIT: I just solved at what time the two stones are at the same height, which is 5.5 seconds, by drawing a picture and working from there. I'm still having trouble trying to get the height where they're both at the same height.

Last edited:

Related to Comparing Two Stones: Solving the Mystery of Height and Time

1. How do you measure the height of a stone?

The height of a stone can be measured using various methods such as a measuring tape, a ruler, or a laser rangefinder. For more accurate measurements, multiple readings should be taken and averaged.

2. What is the best way to determine the age of a stone?

The age of a stone can be determined through various techniques such as radiocarbon dating, dendrochronology, or optically stimulated luminescence dating. These methods use the natural decay of elements, growth rings on trees, or light exposure to estimate the age of the stone.

3. How do you compare the height and age of two stones?

To compare the height and age of two stones, you need to measure their heights and determine their ages using the methods mentioned above. Then, you can plot the data on a graph or use statistical analysis to determine any correlations or patterns between the two variables.

4. Can stones of similar height have different ages?

Yes, stones of similar height can have different ages. This is because the height of a stone is determined by its initial size and the factors that have affected its erosion or growth over time. Whereas, the age of a stone is determined by the time it has been exposed to the environment and its surroundings.

5. How can understanding the relationship between height and age of stones be useful?

Understanding the relationship between height and age of stones can provide valuable insights into the geological and environmental history of an area. It can also help in identifying patterns of erosion or growth and predicting future changes in the landscape. Additionally, this information can aid in archaeological and paleontological studies, as well as in the conservation and management of natural resources.