Comparing two computers I need your opinion

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation discusses the option of purchasing a new desktop computer for Christmas, with two options being the Gateway LX6200 and the Gateway FX. The LX6200 is less expensive but has a lower-performing GPU, while the FX has a better GPU but is more expensive. The discussion also covers the comparison between the AMD Phenom X4 9500 processor in the LX6200 and the Intel Core 2 quad Q9400 in the FX, as well as the amount of RAM and the ability to run games like Battlefield 2. The conversation concludes with the recommendation to choose the LX6200 due to its cost and potential for upgrades.
The_Absolute
I want to get a new desktop computer for christmas, one of them $821, and the other is just over 1300 (both with the tax and warranty added).

The less expensive one is the Gateway LX6200, and the other, more expensive one is called the Gateway FX. My stepfather apparently isn't willing to spend the difference to get the better one (with $500 pitched in from my mother), I was wondering if the two would be similar in performance if I added a high-powered directx 10 GPU in the LX6200. The FX already has a Radeon HD 4850 installed in it, the LX6200 has a Radeon HD 3200 256 MB GPU.

Here are links to the specs on both machines.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668208.php

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668196.php?tab=review&cmpid=rr

I am most concerned about the speed and power difference between the AMD Phenom X4 9500, and the Intel Core 2 quad Q9400. 2.2 GHz vs 2.66 GHz, and the LX6200 motherboard's gaming ability. I was told that a top of the line Phenom has about half the performance of a mid-range Core 2. However, the LX6200 has 8 GBs of RAM instead of the FX's 6 GB. Will the Radeon HD 3200 run games like Battlefield 2 without any hassle? Or do I absolutely have to upgrade to a really high-end GPU to run Battlefield 2 with no problems? If the LX6200 had the same GPU as the FX, would they equal in overall performance? Or would it be a lot slower because of the Phenom's slower core clock and lesser L3 cache?

I used to own a custom-built computer that had a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 1GB of RAM, and a Radeon X-800 PRO 256 MB. Either one of this computers would certainly be better than that. Would video games like Battlefield 2 run slower on both the Phenom X4, and the Core 2 Quad because of their lower clock speeds and Battlefield 2's inability to utilize more than a single core and it's 64-bit incompatibility? How does the Radeon HD 3200 shape up against the olde Radeon X-800 Pro? Especially when it comes to running games like Battlefield 2?
Will the game have lesser performance on both machines due to the 2005-era video games utter inability to recognize/utilize more thana a single core and it's incompatibility with 64-bit processors.

Exactly how much slower is the AMD Phenom as opposed to the Intel Core 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I just now saw this thread, sorry it's late. If you're still wondering I would recommend the LX6200. It's not worth the extra money to play Battlefield 2. It should run fine, from looking at the specs the only problem that I can see that you might face is running Vista. You have plenty of RAM but Vista still has bugs. I don't know how well Battlefield 2 will run on Vista but if you have problems you can probably download a patch from their website. Plus if you need to you can upgrade the processor for less than the difference between the two systems.

As a scientist, it is important to base decisions on data and evidence rather than just opinions. With that in mind, let's analyze the specs of the two computers and address your concerns about their performance.

Firstly, in terms of processor speed and power, the Intel Core 2 quad Q9400 does have a higher clock speed of 2.66 GHz compared to the AMD Phenom X4 9500's 2.2 GHz. However, it is important to note that clock speed is not the only factor that determines a processor's performance. The AMD Phenom X4 9500 has four cores compared to the Intel Core 2 quad Q9400's four cores, which means it has the potential to handle more tasks simultaneously. Additionally, the AMD Phenom X4 9500 has a larger L3 cache (6 MB compared to the Intel Core 2 quad Q9400's 4 MB), which can also impact performance. Overall, the difference in performance between the two processors may not be as significant as you may think.

Moving on to the graphics cards, the Radeon HD 4850 in the Gateway FX is a higher-end GPU compared to the Radeon HD 3200 in the Gateway LX6200. This means that the FX may have better performance in graphics-intensive tasks, such as gaming. However, adding a high-powered DirectX 10 GPU to the LX6200 may help bridge the performance gap between the two computers. It is also worth noting that the LX6200 has more RAM (8 GB compared to the FX's 6 GB), which can also contribute to better overall performance.

In terms of running games like Battlefield 2, both computers should be able to handle it without any issues. The Radeon HD 3200 may not be as powerful as the Radeon X-800 PRO, but it should still be able to run the game smoothly. It is also worth mentioning that newer games are designed to utilize multiple cores, so the fact that Battlefield 2 is an older game should not be a major concern.

In conclusion, while the Intel Core 2 quad Q9400 may have a slight advantage in terms of clock speed, the AMD Phenom X4 9500 has other features that can contribute to its overall performance. Additionally, adding a high-powered DirectX 10 GPU to the Gateway LX6200 may help close the performance gap between the two computers. Ultimately, it is important to consider your specific needs and uses for

1. Which computer is better for gaming?

This ultimately depends on the specific components and specifications of the computers being compared. However, generally speaking, a computer with a higher processing speed, more RAM, and a dedicated graphics card will perform better for gaming.

2. Which computer is better for everyday use?

Again, this will depend on personal preferences and needs. However, for basic tasks such as web browsing, word processing, and email, a computer with a decent processor, at least 8GB of RAM, and a solid state drive (SSD) would be sufficient.

3. Which computer is more reliable?

This can vary depending on the brand, model, and individual components of each computer. It is important to do research and read reviews from other users to determine the reliability of a specific computer.

4. Which computer offers better value for the price?

The value of a computer is subjective and depends on an individual's needs and budget. It is important to compare the specifications and features of each computer to determine which offers the best value for you.

5. Can you recommend a specific computer based on my needs?

As a scientist, I am not able to make specific recommendations. However, I can provide information and insights to help you make an informed decision based on your specific needs and budget.