Comparing Trigonometric and Fractional Values: Which is Greater?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, to determine which number is bigger, compare the numbers using greater than and less than symbols. For numbers with multiple digits, start with the highest place value and compare digits until a difference is found. Decimals can be compared using the same method, with the decimal point being the starting point. When comparing numbers with different signs, the sign of the number determines which is bigger. Finally, there is a shortcut for comparing numbers with the same sign - the number with more digits is always bigger.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Which number is bigger, $\sin 1-\cos 1$ or $\dfrac{1}{4}$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the answer $sin1 - cos1$

What does a calculator give for sin(1)- cos(1)?

I don't know I just used expansion for this.

DaalChawal said:
Is the answer $sin1 - cos1$
Yeap!(Cool) For your information, a challenge problem posted in this sub forum is meant for the interested members to post not only the final answer, but also the method of solving as well. (Nod)

Related to Comparing Trigonometric and Fractional Values: Which is Greater?

1. What is the difference between a whole number and a decimal number?

A whole number is a number that does not have any digits after the decimal point, while a decimal number has digits after the decimal point.

2. How do I compare two numbers with different number of digits?

To compare two numbers with different number of digits, start from the leftmost digit and compare each digit until you reach the end of the number. The number with the larger digit in the leftmost place is the bigger number.

3. Can negative numbers be bigger than positive numbers?

Yes, negative numbers can be bigger than positive numbers. This is because the negative sign only indicates the direction of the number, not its magnitude.

4. Is a fraction bigger or smaller than a decimal?

It depends on the value of the fraction and the decimal. In some cases, a fraction may be bigger than a decimal and in other cases, a decimal may be bigger than a fraction.

5. How do I compare numbers with different units?

To compare numbers with different units, you need to convert them to the same unit first. Once they are in the same unit, you can use the methods mentioned above to compare them.