Comparing Powers: A Mental Technique

• Thread starter vin300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compare
In summary, the conversation discusses a technique for comparing two powered terms with different bases without any special or digital aid. The suggested method is to take the logarithm of both numbers and use algebra to determine which is greater. This approach does not require a calculator.
vin300
This is by no means a trick question, I would want to know whether there is any technique to compare two powered terms with different bases, that is if I say I want to compare 2 powered 200 to 3 powered 120 to estimate which of these may be greater without any special or digital aid, how can I do it in my mind?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take the logarithm of both numbers:

ln(2200) = 200 ln 2 = 138.629436112
ln(3120) = 120 ln 3 = 131.83347464

So 2200 > 3120

EDIT: fixed a math error.

Are you talking about exponents?
So like x^n vs y^m?
You could just take the logs, and do some algebra.

Have the ~ symbol be a placeholder for =,<,> symbols

[tex] 2^{200} \sim 3^{120} [/tex]
[tex] 200 log(2) \sim 120 log(3) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{200}{120} \sim \frac{log(3)}{log(2)} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{5}{3} \sim log_2(3) [/tex]
[tex] 2^{\frac{5}{3}} \sim 3 [/tex]
[tex] 2^5 \sim 3^3 [/tex]
[tex] 32 \sim 27 [/tex]

therefore: ~ is >
so
[tex] 2^{200} > 3^{120} [/tex]

No calculator needed.

Thanks.

Related to Comparing Powers: A Mental Technique

1. What is "Compare Powers: A Mind Trick"?

"Compare Powers: A Mind Trick" is a scientific experiment designed to test the power of the human mind. It involves presenting participants with different images and asking them to compare the images based on certain characteristics.

2. How does "Compare Powers: A Mind Trick" work?

The experiment works by tapping into the brain's ability to perceive and process visual information. By presenting participants with images that are similar but have subtle differences, it challenges the brain to pay attention to details and make comparisons.

3. What is the purpose of "Compare Powers: A Mind Trick"?

The purpose of the experiment is to better understand the human brain's ability to perceive and process visual information. It also aims to explore the limits of the brain's memory and decision-making processes.

4. Can anyone participate in "Compare Powers: A Mind Trick"?

Yes, anyone can participate in the experiment as long as they meet the eligibility criteria set by the researchers. This may include age restrictions, language proficiency, and absence of any neurological or visual impairments.

5. What are the potential benefits of "Compare Powers: A Mind Trick"?

The experiment can have several potential benefits, including advancing our understanding of the human brain, improving memory and decision-making skills, and providing insights into cognitive disorders. It may also have practical applications in fields such as education, marketing, and design.