Comparing Max Intensities for Two Equal-Amplitude Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of "beats" produced by two equal-amplitude waves of slightly different frequencies. The maximum intensity of the combined wave is found by adding the intensities of the individual waves, and this can be perceived by the ear even though the main frequency is only processed by the auditory nerve. The question asks how the maximum intensity of the combined wave compares to the sum of the maximum intensities of the individual waves.
JuanYsimura

Homework Statement

For two equal-amplitude waves of nearly equal frequencies w+d/2 and w-d/2 (at a fixed position x), you have shown that the intensity exhibits \beats"
which for d = 2pi Hz can be perceived directly by the ear, even though the
main frequency is perceived only through the signal processing of the auditory
nerve. How does the maximum intensity compare to the sum of the maximum
intensities of either wave separately?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I wrote both waves as: y1 = ACos[xk+t(w+d/2)], y2 = ACos[xk'+t(w-d/2)]. Adding them together yields: Y = y1 + y2 = 2Acos[{x(k-k')+d}t/2]cos[{x(k+k')+2tw}t/2]. So I am not really sure what it means to find the maximum intensity? Do I have to find the maximum intensity for y1 and y2 separately, and then find the mx intensity for Y? Can someone give me a hint on how to solve this problems. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, pretty much. You find the intensities of y1, y2, and Y, and then compare them, i.e. is the intensity of Y larger, smaller, the same...?

Related to Comparing Max Intensities for Two Equal-Amplitude Waves

1. What is the purpose of comparing max intensities for two equal-amplitude waves?

The purpose of comparing max intensities for two equal-amplitude waves is to determine which wave has a higher intensity or amplitude. This information can be useful in various fields of science, such as acoustics, optics, and seismology, to name a few.

2. How do you compare max intensities for two equal-amplitude waves?

To compare max intensities for two equal-amplitude waves, you can use a variety of methods, such as measuring the amplitude using a sensor or calculating the intensity based on the wave's frequency and wavelength. You can also visually compare the waves on a graph to determine which one has a higher peak or amplitude.

3. What factors can affect the max intensities of two equal-amplitude waves?

The max intensities of two equal-amplitude waves can be affected by various factors, including the medium through which the waves are traveling, the distance between the source of the waves and the point of measurement, and any obstacles or interference that may be present in the path of the waves.

4. Can the max intensities of two equal-amplitude waves be equal?

No, the max intensities of two equal-amplitude waves cannot be equal. The intensity of a wave is directly proportional to its amplitude, so if two waves have the same amplitude, their intensities will also be equal. However, if one wave has a higher amplitude than the other, its intensity will also be higher.

5. How is the intensity of a wave related to its energy?

The intensity of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the intensity increases, so does the energy of the wave. This relationship is described by the equation I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power of the wave, and A is the area over which the wave is spreading. Therefore, comparing the max intensities of two equal-amplitude waves can also provide insight into the relative energy of the waves.