Comparing Gleason and Revacycle Gear Profiles

• Thread starter rishi07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary: Instead, the question "What are the major differences between Gleason and Revacycle?" should be asked.
rishi07
Can someone please brief me what is Gleason and Revacycle profiles and what are the major differences between?

Please help me to find some gear profiles, I've some data with me which is actually not matching empirically with Gleason as well as Revacycle profiles.

I'm involved into bevel gear (differential) designing ?

Thanks,

Rishi

Engineering news on Phys.org
I remember that "involute of circle" is used for the basic shape of gears. Maybe a web search for "involute circle gears" will lead to more information related to what you're looking for.

Revacycle is a method for gear cutting. It is not a profile. I'm not quiteunderstanding what your question is. The tooth form is a variation on the standard involute, usually according to ANSI B92

thnks for kind reply. I've used a wrong a wring word as profile is in terms of "involute" or "cycloidal", but again my concern is about Gleason and Revacycle, how both of these methods differ each other?

Are there any other gear cutting methods apart of Gleason and Revacycle. I've heard of some "Max Trac" technique, which is empirically different from the mentioned methods.

for e.g. I've a set of formulae for Gleason, when i try to put the basic data like module, diametrical pitch and no. of teeth then i get parametric information which is required to form involute for a bevel gear. Moreover, i get this data cross-verfied from the drawings which contains the complete information.

Now, further I've some new data (which holds true) is not in line with Gleason formulae.
I always get some different value (other than mentioned in the new drawing) when i try to use it with Gleason system.
Please help me to solve out the problem.
Also I've attached the set of Gleason system with this.

Thanks,

YD

Attachments

• gleason formulae.jpg
    gleason formulae.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 578
I see where you're coming from now. I am definitely not that into gear cutting to help on those kinds of particulars. However, Gleason's site may be a good resource for you:

http://www.geartechnology.com/copage/gphcut.htm

Our product line includes the following bevel cutting tools:

· RIDG-AC® - an inserted-blade, circular, face-mill roughing cutter
· HELIXFORM® - a single-cycle, inserted blade finish cutter
· WEDGE-AC® - an inserted-blade, face-mill cutter for high production
· HARDAC® III - an adjustable, inserted-blade cutter
· SOLID - designed with the blades and cutter as one integral unit
· RSR® - a roughing, completing cutter, utilizing tool bit-style blades
· PENTAC® - cutter systems for face hobbing and cutter system
· TRI-AC® - stick blade-type face hobbing cutter system
· CONIFLEX® - cutters used to generate straight bevel gears
· REVACYCLE® - circular, broach-style cutter straight bevel gears
· GENERATOR TOOLS - resharpenable tools for straight bevel gears
· CBN plated form grinding wheels

I do have access to a couple of gear handbooks used in the industry. I'll see if I can do some research on this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
well...thanks for concern...!
Please try to find "MAX TRAC" cutting method...its a new and emerging technology in the gear cutting methods.

Gleason is a company name. They invented bevel gear. It is common called Gleason bevel gear. Revacycle is a straight bevel cutting method invented by Gleason.

So, basically, the question "What is the main different between Gleason and Revacycle?" is not a proper question.

Related to Comparing Gleason and Revacycle Gear Profiles

1. What is the difference between Gleason and Revacycle gear profiles?

Gleason and Revacycle are two different methods for creating gear profiles. The main difference between them is the shape of the gear tooth. Gleason gears have a convex profile, while Revacycle gears have a concave profile. This means that they have different contact patterns and load distribution capabilities.

2. Which gear profile is better for heavy loads?

Both Gleason and Revacycle gear profiles can handle heavy loads. However, Revacycle gears are typically better suited for high torque applications, while Gleason gears are better for high speed applications. The choice between the two will depend on the specific requirements of the gear system.

3. Are there any advantages to using one profile over the other?

Both Gleason and Revacycle gear profiles have their own advantages. Gleason gears are known for their high precision and reliability, while Revacycle gears have better load distribution and can handle higher torque. The choice between the two will depend on the specific needs of the gear system.

4. Can Gleason and Revacycle gears be used together in a gear system?

Yes, it is possible to combine Gleason and Revacycle gears in a gear system. However, it is important to ensure that the gears are properly designed and meshed to avoid any compatibility issues. It is recommended to consult with a gear design expert before using both profiles in a gear system.

5. Which gear profile is more commonly used in industry?

Gleason gears are more commonly used in industry due to their precision, reliability, and versatility. They are widely used in various applications such as automotive, aerospace, and industrial machinery. However, Revacycle gears are gaining popularity in certain industries, such as heavy equipment and power transmission, due to their ability to handle high torque.