Comparing Energy Conversion Rates of Photons and Solar Panels

• Thread starter DoubleHelix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the Physics Planning paper requires the design of laboratory experiments to compare the energy conversion rates of using photons in a solar cell and a solar panel to heat water. The energy source for the experiments should be a standard 150W light bulb connected to the 230V mains. The phrase "connected to the mains" means that the light bulb should be plugged into a power source, rather than being directly connected to the solar cell. This is because the light bulb will serve as the source of energy for the experiments. Overall, using a light bulb as the source of energy makes more sense than using the Sun, as it is easier to measure and control.
DoubleHelix
Part of my Physics Planning paper says this:
"You are to design laboratory experiments to compare the energy conversion rates of the two systems (one using photons to release electrons in a solar cell and one using a solar panel to heat water), in order to find out which is the more efficient. The energy source should be a standard 150W light bulb connected to the 230V mains.

What does the phrase in bold mean? Surely the bulb wouldn't be connected to the mains, it would be connected to the solar cell which I am testing right? Or am I being totally dense?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you must use the light bulb as a source of energy (light). The light from the light bulb falling on the solar cell will produce power... You can measure this power with whatever means I guess...

Ah thanks so much! I assumed I'd be using the Sun as it is called a solar cell but yes it makes more sense to use a light bulb so I know the power of it, it'd be difficult finding the power of the Sun that reaches the surface with all that atmosphere and stuff in the way. I guess I was being totaly dense after all. :D

Related to Comparing Energy Conversion Rates of Photons and Solar Panels

1. What is the meaning of this phrase?

The phrase in question may have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. It is important to consider the words and their connotations, as well as the intended message of the speaker or writer, to fully understand the meaning.

2. How can I interpret this phrase?

Interpreting a phrase requires understanding its literal and figurative meanings, as well as the cultural and social context in which it is used. You may also consider the tone and body language of the speaker or writer to gain a deeper understanding.

3. Can you provide an example of how this phrase is used?

To fully grasp the meaning of a phrase, it can be helpful to see it used in a sentence or situation. Examples can provide context and help clarify any confusion or ambiguity surrounding the phrase.

4. Is there a deeper meaning behind this phrase?

Sometimes, a phrase may have a hidden or symbolic meaning that can only be understood by looking beyond the literal words. This requires analyzing the context, cultural influences, and any underlying themes or metaphors.

5. How can I use this phrase in my own writing or speech?

If you want to use a phrase in your own communication, it is important to fully understand its meaning and how it is typically used. You may also want to consider the audience and the appropriateness of the phrase in your specific context.