Comparing Bound Charges on Cylindrical Dielectric Surfaces

In summary, using Gauss' Law and the equations for electric field, polarization, and bound charge density, it can be shown that the bound charge on the outer surface of a Class-A dielectric cylinder is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the bound charge on the inner surface. This is due to the presence of a conducting wire carrying a charge per unit length along the axis of the cylinder. The calculation of the bound charge per unit length depends on the assumption of the length of the cylinder and wire being infinite. Additionally, the net charge per unit length at a certain point can be calculated by adding the free charge per unit length and the net bound charge per unit length, taking into account the negative sign of the bound charge
jmtome2

Homework Statement

A conducting wire carrying a charge [tex]\lambda[/tex] per unit length is embedded along the axis of the cylinder of Class-A dielectric. The radius of the wire is a; the radius of the cylinder is b.

Show that the bound charge on the outer surface of the dielectric is equal to the bound charge on the inner surface, except for sign.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \vec{E}\cdot \vec{da}=\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{P}=\epsilon_0 X_{e}\cdot \vec{E}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{b}=\vec{P}\cdot \hat{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Gauss' Law, we get that [tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r} \cdot \hat{r}[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\vec{P}=\frac{\epsilon_0 X_{e}\lambda}{2\pi r} \cdot \hat{r}[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\sigma_{b}=\frac{\epsilon_0 X_{e}\lambda}{2\pi b}[/tex] on the outer surface and [tex]\sigma_{b}=-\frac{\epsilon_0 X_{e}\lambda}{2\pi a}[/tex] on the inner surface...

These are not equal in magnitude! Can someone explain where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\sigma_{b}=\vec{P}\cdot \hat{n}
[/tex]

is the surface charge density. Multiply it with the inner and outer surface to get the bound charge.

ehild

Ahhh! Thank you! :)

jmtome2 said:
Using Gauss' Law, we get that [tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r} \cdot \hat{r}[/tex]

No, Gauss' Law for [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] involves the total (free and bound) charge enclosed by the Gaussian surface. Since you don't know what the bound charges are, you'll want to use Gauss' law for [itex]\textbf{D}[/itex] instead.

Another valid point

[tex]\vec{D}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r} \cdot \hat{r}[/tex]

and therefore, [tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon\cdot r} \cdot \hat{r}[/tex]

That's better.:approve:

P.S. To write [itex]\chi[/itex] in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], use \chi

Cool and thanks for your help

Quick final question:

For the bound charge (on both the inner and outer surface) final answer I get [tex]Q_{bound}=\frac{\epsilon_0\cdot \chi_{e}}{\epsilon}\cdot \lambda L[/tex]

but doesn't [tex]\lambda L=Q_{free}[/tex] , where [tex]Q_{free}[/tex] is the free charge of the configuration?

Isn't the length of the cylinder and wire infinite?

Doesn't say that it is so I just assumed it was length L

But if the length is finite, the field isn't cylindrically symmetric and you can't use Gauss' Law...

urgh... so should I assume that its finite or assume that it is infinite? lol... is there some way of calculating the inner and outer surface bound charge density so that it doesn't matter?

I'd assume it's infinite, and calculate the bound charge per unit length...

sounds good to me, I'm actually asked later to calculate the net charge per unit length so I'll need that.

And since we are on the topic... :) to get the net charge per unit length at r=a, [tex]\frac{Q_{net}}{L}=\frac{Q_{free}}{L}+\frac{Q_{bound}}{L}[/tex]? I'm told that the answer is [tex]\frac{Q_{net}}{L}=\frac{\lambda}{\epsilon_r}[/tex].

However...

With [tex]\frac{Q_{free}}{L}=\lambda[/tex]

and...

[tex]\frac{Q_{bound}}{L}=\frac{\epsilon_0\chi_{e}}{\epsilon}\cdot \lambda=\left(1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_{r}}\right)\cdot \lambda[/tex]

the only way I can get the given answer is if I subtract the net bound charge per unit length from the net free charge per unit length... what am I missing?

I thought the bound charge at [itex]r=a[/itex] was negative...:wink:

That's it! I always miss the small things, thanks

Related to Comparing Bound Charges on Cylindrical Dielectric Surfaces

1. What is the purpose of comparing bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces?

The purpose of comparing bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces is to understand the behavior of electric fields and charges on these types of surfaces. This can help in designing and optimizing the performance of various electronic devices and materials.

2. How are bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces different from those on planar surfaces?

Bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces differ from those on planar surfaces in that they are distributed along the curved surface instead of being concentrated at specific points. This results in a different electric field distribution and potential difference between the surfaces.

3. How is the magnitude of bound charges determined on cylindrical dielectric surfaces?

The magnitude of bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces is determined by the permittivity of the material, the radius of the cylinder, and the electric field strength. It can be calculated using the formula Q = ε0εrEΔl, where Q is the magnitude of bound charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material, E is the electric field strength, and Δl is the length of the cylindrical surface.

4. What is the effect of changing the permittivity of the material on bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces?

Changing the permittivity of the material can have a significant effect on the magnitude and distribution of bound charges on cylindrical dielectric surfaces. A higher permittivity means that more charges will be induced on the surface, resulting in a stronger electric field and potential difference between the surfaces.

5. How does the shape of the cylindrical surface affect the bound charges?

The shape of the cylindrical surface can affect the distribution of bound charges. For example, a thinner cylinder will have a higher surface charge density compared to a thicker cylinder with the same permittivity and electric field strength. This is because the electric field is more concentrated on the thinner surface, resulting in a higher magnitude of bound charges.