Comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of studying the probability of an event involving a random vector, specifically (∂/∂a)Pr[X>( (Y-a)/Z )]. The random vector {X,Y,Z} is distributed Normal( µ, Σ) for µ={0,0,0} and Σ= {{1, 0.5, 0.5}, {0.5, 1, 0}, {0.5, 0, 1}}. The simulations show that the partial derivative is non-monotonic, with the probability increasing and then decreasing as "a" increases. The question is about understanding this behavior from a distributional point of view and determining the point of
estebanox
Problem: I'm interested in studying the probability of an event involving a random vector.

Specifically, I'm interested in
(∂/∂a)Pr[X>( (Y-a)/Z )]

Where "a" is a non-random parameter and the random vector {X,Y,Z} is distributed Normal( µ, Σ)
for µ={0,0,0}
and Σ= {{1, 0.5, 0.5}, {0.5, 1, 0}, {0.5, 0, 1}}

What I know: Simulations tell me that the above partial derivative is non-monotonic, i.e. increasing the value of "a" first increases the probability of the event, and then decreases it. Attached is a simulation for a∈[0,3].

I can see that this is likely coming from the fact that Z takes value along the real line, so the effect of "a" flips with the sign of Z.

Question: I struggle to understand exactly what is going on here from a distributional point of view. What determines the point of inflection? I don't need an analytical solution – just some intuition.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 09.00.48.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 09.00.48.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
estebanox said:
Specifically, I'm interested in
(∂/∂a)Pr[X>( (Y-a)/Z )]

What's your definition of the relation "##>##" when we are comparing two vectors ?

Each of X, Y and Z are random variables. I refer to random vector when talking about (X,Y,Z)

Then I don't understand the notation:
for µ={0,0,0}
and Σ= {{1, 0.5, 0.5}, {0.5, 1, 0}, {0.5, 0, 1}}

Does this indicate we are considering 3 different situations for the standard deviations or ##3^3## different situations ?

What I know: Simulations tell me that the above partial derivative is non-monotonic, i.e. increasing the value of "a" first increases the probability of the event, and then decreases it. Attached is a simulation for x∈[0,3].
Did you mean "for ##a\in [0,3]##" ?

Stephen Tashi said:
Then I don't understand the notation:Does this indicate we are considering 3 different situations for the standard deviations or ##3^3## different situations ?Did you mean "for ##a\in [0,3]##" ?

Oh, yes, typo! I'll fix it. Thanks.

estebanox said:
Oh, yes, typo! I'll fix it. Thanks.

The vector μ and the matrix Σ refer to the parameters of the joint distribution of (X,Y,Z). The simulation is fixing all of these parameters, and tracing the probability for different values of "a".

I suggest we start by seeing if we can get intuition for a much simpler situation!

Let ##Y## and ##Z## each be uniformly distributed on the interval [-1,1]. Let ##x## be a number instead of a random variable. How does ##P(x > (Y- a)/Z## vary with ##a## ?. Maybe we need to consider two cases: ## x< 0## and ##x > 0##.

It might be simpler to ask about ##P(x < (Y-a)/Z)## since that's a question about a cumulative distribution.

Related to Comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event

What is comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event?

Comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event is a branch of statistics that focuses on comparing three variables or events to analyze their relationship and make predictions based on their patterns and trends.

What are the main methods used in comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event?

The main methods used in comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event are regression analysis, correlation analysis, and ANOVA (analysis of variance). These methods help to identify and quantify the relationships between three variables and determine their significance.

How is comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event used in research?

Comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event is used in research to analyze and compare data from three different variables or events. It helps to identify patterns, trends, and relationships between these variables and make predictions about their future behavior.

What are some real-life applications of comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event?

Comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event has various real-life applications, such as in economics to analyze the relationship between three economic variables, in environmental studies to compare the impact of multiple factors on the environment, and in medical research to understand the relationship between three health-related variables.

What are the limitations of comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event?

Some limitations of comparative statistics of (trivariate) random event include the assumption of linear relationships between variables, the potential for confounding variables, and the need for large sample sizes to achieve reliable results. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for analyzing complex relationships between three variables.