Is this drawing just pure nonsense?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary, the conversation is discussing the misconception that the distance between the Earth and the Sun controls the seasons. The axial tilt of the Earth and its orbital ellipticity have a much larger effect on the change of seasons. The conversation also addresses the fact that any significant changes to the Earth's orbit would have catastrophic consequences. The conversation concludes with the realization that the initial assumption was incorrect and the expertise of the other participants in explaining the true causes of the seasons.
scott_sieger
can't delete this thread...

a drawing that has proved to be nonsense...sorry

Attachments

• temp gain fradgility.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The distance from sun to Earth does not control the seasons. We are furthest from the sun in summer here in the northern hemisphere. The ellipticity of the Earth's orbit has about 1000 times the effect on the distance from any patch of surface to the sun as the axial tilt does.

You keep pushing this, indicating you really don't understand what causes the seasons. Others have done a very good job explaining it, but you still don't get it. I suggest you get a good book from the library and study up on what causes the seasons.

BTW, anything that could noticeably change the Earth's orbit would be much more cataclysmic than any temperature change that would result.

Njorl

Check this for instance:

It is true that the Earth's distance from the Sun actually does vary during a year--but it is not enough to drive the seasons. The Earth's orbit is an ellipse with the Sun sitting at one foci. The closest approach of the Earth to the Sun is called perihelion, and happens on January 4, 2003 about two weeks after the winter solstice. Aphelion occurs when Earth is farthest from the Sun, and will happen on July 4, 2003, a couple of weeks after the summer solstice. The difference in distance? About 3 million miles, or about 3% of Earth’s total distance from the Sun, not nearly enough to explain the temperature difference between a cold day in January vs. a hot day July.

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_devore_solstice_021212.html [Broken]

I was going to add some comments but I see that Njorl beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...ahhh I see what I am assuming is totally off the planet...

Thanks guys,

1. What is the main focus of "Our Fradgile Planet 2"?

The main focus of "Our Fradgile Planet 2" is to educate people about the current state of our planet and the environmental issues that are affecting it.

2. Who created "Our Fradgile Planet 2"?

"Our Fradgile Planet 2" was created by a team of scientists, researchers, and filmmakers who are passionate about raising awareness about the state of our planet.

3. What makes "Our Fradgile Planet 2" different from other environmental documentaries?

"Our Fradgile Planet 2" uses cutting-edge technology and scientific research to showcase the impact of human activities on our planet and the urgent need for action.

4. What are some of the solutions presented in "Our Fradgile Planet 2"?

"Our Fradgile Planet 2" presents a range of solutions, including renewable energy sources, sustainable living practices, and conservation efforts, to help mitigate the effects of climate change and protect our planet.

5. How can I watch "Our Fradgile Planet 2"?

"Our Fradgile Planet 2" is available for streaming on various platforms, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime, or can be purchased on DVD or Blu-ray. Check your local listings for availability.