Compact form for an infinite multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite product expression for pi and the possibility of writing it in compact form using math notation. While there is no specific notation for simplifying the expression, it could be represented using a recursive sequence and capital pi notation. The Wallis product is also mentioned as an alternative formula for pi.
cncnewbee
Hi,
In the middle of the article about Franciscus Vieta, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franciscus_Vieta

I see an infinite product as an expression for Pi:
2 * 2/2^(1/2) * 2/(2+(2^(1/2))^(1/2) * ...

I was wondering, how this could be written in compact form using math notation please?

Physics news on Phys.org
cncnewbee said:
Hi,
In the middle of the article about Franciscus Vieta, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franciscus_Vieta

I see an infinite product as an expression for Pi:
2 * 2/2^(1/2) * 2/(2+(2^(1/2))^(1/2) * ...

I was wondering, how this could be written in compact form using math notation please?
I don't think you can write [itex]\displaystyle 2\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2+ \sqrt{2}}}\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}}}}\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}}}}}\times\cdots[/itex] in compact form.

Indeed, I don't think any specific notation can help simplify this ... er ... "continued fraction."

I would define the recursive sequence [itex]S_n[/itex] such that:

[itex]
S_0 = 1\\
S_1 = \sqrt2\\
S_{k+1} = \sqrt{2+S_k}\text{ where } k>0\\
[/itex]

and use that sequence and capital pi notation to shorten the equation for [itex]\pi[/itex] into the infinite product:

[itex]
\pi=\prod \limits_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{2}{S_i}
[/itex]

But then again, this seems more convoluted than compact.

Thank you all, I learned from your answers that the other way of expressing that is by using a recursive expression combined together with Pi (∏) notation and that there is no unique tool in math-notation for a compact form in this case.

I don't know if you want this particular formula for pi or any infinite product will do.

If another is acceptable Google Wallis product.

Related to Compact form for an infinite multiplication

1. What is the compact form for an infinite multiplication?

The compact form for an infinite multiplication is the mathematical expression that represents the product of infinitely many terms in a concise and efficient way.

2. How is the compact form for an infinite multiplication different from a regular multiplication?

The compact form for an infinite multiplication is different from a regular multiplication in that it allows for an infinite number of terms to be multiplied together, whereas a regular multiplication only involves a finite number of terms.

3. What is an example of the compact form for an infinite multiplication?

An example of the compact form for an infinite multiplication is the geometric series, which can be written as a1 + a1r + a1r2 + a1r3 + ... where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

4. What are some real-world applications of the compact form for an infinite multiplication?

The compact form for an infinite multiplication is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to model exponential growth and decay, compound interest, and other phenomena that involve an infinite number of terms being multiplied together.

5. How can the compact form for an infinite multiplication be solved?

The compact form for an infinite multiplication can be solved using various techniques such as finding the sum of a geometric series, using the formula for the product of two infinite sums, or using limits and infinite series. The method used depends on the specific form of the infinite multiplication expression.