Comp Sci Scope & AI in Space Tech

In summary: In short, how does it help in space technology?Thanks.In summary, computer engineering is a field that focuses on building computational systems, while computer science deals mostly with what is and isn't computable and how efficiently. Additionally, computer science is a relatively new field that is rapidly developing, while computer engineering is an older discipline that is more stable. Regarding AI, note that the field has its limits and don't go into it with unrealistic expectations. Lastly, check the "Tools section" for the underlying math of computer science to see if it is similar to what you are looking for.
schumi1991`
HI guys I am a first year engineering student and have yet not decided upon my branch of engineering but over the last few weeks the field of comp sci is looking very attractive to me... So I would like to know that what is the scope in this field..especially AI(Artificial Intelligence)...And what are it's uses in Space Technology...
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you should keep in mind is the difference between computer engineering, and computer science. Computer engineering is essentially electronic engineering with a focus on building computational systems. There's bound to be some programming in there as well, but little to none theoretical computer science compared to the other field.

Computer science, on the other hand, deals mostly with what is and isn't computable, and how efficiently. This is at the heart of theoretical computer science, and there are also many theoretical fields that are concerned with something else - graphics, image processing, natural language processing, AI,...

If there's one thing my CS degrees gave me after five years of study, it's disillusionment. The biggest problem with CS is the fact that it is not self-contained. Most of the interesting, hard stuff is built on mathematics, and throughout the degree you'll come to realize the simple truth that most of the stuff is really better done by mathematicians, partly because it was built by mathematicians. Simply because they have more math courses, practice, have solved more problems and were given more of a connected view of mathematics, not a cherry-picked collection of mostly discrete math that is just enough to get by.

Computer science is also a relatively new field, and one that is rapidly developing. I think this is also the reason why the curriculum between different universities varies so much. Engineering, on the other hand, is an older discipline, and in my view, a much more stable one. It will probably give you a broader range of skills than CS, and it is much more hands-on.

Regarding the AI, I assume you read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence . Note that the field has its limits, so don't go into it with unrealistic expectations. And check the "Tools section" for the underlying math. The rest of the CS is exactly like this (which is why I think mathematicians are more suited for the job).

EDIT: Shortened.

Last edited:
Nonlinear said:
One thing you should keep in mind is the difference between computer engineering, and computer science. Computer engineering is essentially electronic engineering with a focus on building computational systems. There's bound to be some programming in there as well, but little to none theoretical computer science compared to the other field.

Computer science, on the other hand, deals mostly with what is and isn't computable, and how efficiently. This is at the heart of theoretical computer science, and there are also many theoretical fields that are concerned with something else - graphics, image processing, natural language processing, AI,...

If there's one thing my CS degrees gave me after five years of study, it's disillusionment. The biggest problem with CS is the fact that it is not self-contained. Most of the interesting, hard stuff is built on mathematics, and throughout the degree you'll come to realize the simple truth that most of the stuff is really better done by mathematicians, partly because it was built by mathematicians. Simply because they have more math courses, practice, have solved more problems and were given more of a connected view of mathematics, not a cherry-picked collection of mostly discrete math that is just enough to get by.

Computer science is also a relatively new field, and one that is rapidly developing. I think this is also the reason why the curriculum between different universities varies so much. Engineering, on the other hand, is an older discipline, and in my view, a much more stable one. It will probably give you a broader range of skills than CS, and it is much more hands-on.

Regarding the AI, I assume you read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence . Note that the field has its limits, so don't go into it with unrealistic expectations. And check the "Tools section" for the underlying math. The rest of the CS is exactly like this (which is why I think mathematicians are more suited for the job).

Thank You very much Nonlinear... But I think things might be a little different here in India.Here there is Computer Science and engineering.It is an engineering degree.Although I don't know exactly but I think it might include a little of theoretical and much of engineering part.Your extensive reply did give me a lot to think about,but there is one thing I wud like to ask you and that is the scope of computer 'engineering' in space technology...

Where I live, we do have a uni that offers exactly what you're describing, even though it is labeled a bit differently. They learn to design microprocessors and embedded devices, write device drivers, a bit of signal processing and such, but they also do some of the computer science as well - they have a course e.g. on computer graphics, AI, but they don't get to hear about some of the more fundamental things like what is or isn't computable in their undergrad.

The fact that you end up having background in both hardware and some of the theory is quite useful, and the projects oftentimes involve designing some hardware piece as well, which is quite interesting.

The final advice I'll give is to think about whether you enjoy working ON a computer, or WITH computers. These days people are using computers in math and physics as well, because they need to process some data, typeset their documents in latex, or run simulations. Computer * degrees generally require you work with computers, programming stuff, and oftentimes in more theoretical computer science degrees, pen and paper will be all you need for your "computation" (which probably won't be the case of the one you describe).

EDIT: I forgot about the space technology stuff - I'd imagine that would deal a lot with communication and efficient coding techniques, or hardware designed for specific purposes. There may be applications of image processing as well, but to me this sounds like much more of an electrical/electronic engineering (or aerospace engineering) than anything else. Any processing of acquired data would be done on Earth where you have more computational power. I know a technical university where I live has a unit in the electronic eng department that does specifically this (i.e. hardware for long-distance communication).

Last edited:
for your question! I can definitely say that the field of computer science has a wide scope and is continuously growing. With the rapid advancements in technology, the demand for computer scientists, especially those with expertise in artificial intelligence (AI), is on the rise. AI has numerous applications in various industries, including space technology.

In the space industry, AI is used for a variety of purposes, such as data analysis, autonomous navigation, and spacecraft control. With the help of AI, space missions can be more efficient and cost-effective as it can automate tasks that would otherwise require human intervention. AI can also analyze large amounts of data collected from space and identify patterns or anomalies that humans may not be able to detect. This can help in making more informed decisions and predictions for future space missions.

Moreover, AI is also being used in the development of robots and rovers for space exploration. These robots can be equipped with AI to make decisions and adapt to different environments, making them more effective for tasks such as collecting samples or repairing equipment in space.

In addition to its current uses in space technology, the potential for AI is vast and constantly evolving. As we continue to explore and expand our presence in space, the demand for AI in this field will only increase. So if you have a passion for both computer science and space technology, pursuing a career in AI can offer exciting opportunities for you in the future. I hope this helps answer your question and best of luck in your engineering studies!

Related to Comp Sci Scope & AI in Space Tech

1. What is the role of computer science in space technology?

Computer science plays a crucial role in space technology by providing the necessary tools and techniques to analyze and process large amounts of data collected from space missions, develop complex algorithms for navigation and control of spacecraft, and design and simulate space systems and components.

2. How is artificial intelligence used in space technology?

Artificial intelligence (AI) is used in space technology to automate tasks such as data analysis, image recognition, and decision making. It can also be used to improve the efficiency and accuracy of spacecraft operations, as well as to enable autonomous exploration of distant planets and celestial bodies.

3. What are the challenges of implementing AI in space technology?

The main challenges of implementing AI in space technology include the need for reliable and robust algorithms that can withstand the harsh conditions of space, the limited computing resources available on spacecraft, and the potential for human error in programming and training the AI systems.

4. How does computer science contribute to space exploration?

Computer science contributes to space exploration by providing advanced tools and technologies for data processing and analysis, developing software for spacecraft operations and communication, and creating simulations and models for testing and optimizing space systems and missions.

5. What future advancements can we expect in the intersection of computer science and space technology?

In the future, we can expect to see further advancements in the use of AI and machine learning in space technology, as well as the development of more sophisticated and intelligent autonomous systems for spacecraft control and exploration. Additionally, computer science will continue to play a crucial role in data management and analysis for space missions, allowing us to gain deeper insights into our universe.