Comp. GS of hubbard hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the variational method for solving the Bose-Hubbard Hamiltonian, as described in D Jaksch's article PRL 81,3108. The main issue is with solving the resulting set of nonlinear equations, given the complexity and normalization conditions of the variational parameter. Possible solutions include reviewing the methodology, consulting with others, breaking down the problem, using numerical computation tools, and seeking advice from experts.
babylonia
Hi,

I'm trying to repeat the numerical calculation of D Jaksch's article PRL 81,3108.
It is about using variational method for the ground state of bose hubbard hamiltonian:
H=-J\sum{a+i+1ai}+U\sum{nini},where i denotes the lattice index
the trial function is based on Gutzwiller ansatz:
G=\prodi{\summ=0toInffim|m>i, where m denotes the number of atoms in a certain lattice, fim is the variational parameter,
What should be done is to minimize
<G|H|G>-mu <G|\sum {ni}|G>, where mu is the given chemical potential.
As I see it, this is done by inserting G, and should lead to a set of nonlinear equations, solve it will give the solution of variational parameter.
However, I am having trouble how to solve it. since fimis complex, and they must satisfy normalization condition, the resulting nonlinear equations seem difficult.

This is really a big problem for me. if any tips on such problem, I'd appreciated it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I understand that you are trying to replicate the numerical calculation of D Jaksch's article PRL 81, 3108, which involves using the variational method for the ground state of the Bose-Hubbard Hamiltonian. It seems like you are having trouble solving the resulting set of nonlinear equations due to the complexity and normalization conditions of the variational parameter.

Firstly, I would recommend reviewing the methodology and equations used in the article to ensure that you have a clear understanding of the problem and its solution. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or supervisor for their insights and suggestions. Additionally, there are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide step-by-step guides for solving nonlinear equations, such as using numerical methods or approximations.

Furthermore, it may be beneficial to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. For example, you could start by solving the equations without the normalization condition and then incorporating it into your solution afterwards. This may help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

I also recommend considering different software or programming languages that may aid in solving these types of equations. There are many numerical computation tools available that can handle complex equations and constraints, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, or Python.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to the author of the article or other experts in the field for their insights. They may have valuable tips or suggestions that could help you in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Comp. GS of hubbard hamiltonian

1. What is a Hubbard Hamiltonian?

The Hubbard Hamiltonian is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of interacting particles in a solid material. It takes into account the effects of electron-electron interactions, and is commonly used in condensed matter physics and materials science.

2. What is the significance of the Hubbard Hamiltonian in computational materials science?

The Hubbard Hamiltonian is a key tool in computational materials science as it allows researchers to simulate and predict the properties of materials without the need for expensive and time-consuming experiments. It also helps to understand the underlying physics of materials, providing insights for the development of new materials with desired properties.

3. How is the Hubbard Hamiltonian solved computationally?

The Hubbard Hamiltonian can be solved using a variety of computational methods, including exact diagonalization, density matrix renormalization group, and Monte Carlo simulations. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific system being studied.

4. What are some applications of the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

The Hubbard Hamiltonian has many applications in the study of materials, including understanding the properties of high-temperature superconductors, predicting the behavior of magnetic materials, and simulating the behavior of quantum systems. It is also used in the development of new technologies such as quantum computing and spintronics.

5. What are some limitations of the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

While the Hubbard Hamiltonian is a powerful tool in computational materials science, it also has some limitations. It assumes that the electrons in a material are non-relativistic and that the interactions between them are local. This means that it may not accurately capture the behavior of materials with strong electron-electron correlations or those with non-local interactions.