Comoving fluids - radiation and matter

In summary,The energy conditions imply that##\rho_m + p_m > 0## and ##\rho_r > 0##This implies that$$\begin{equation}u^{m}_1=u^{m}_2=u^{m}_3=u^{r}_1=u^{r}_2=u^{r}_3=0\end{equation}$$
befj0001
$$\begin{equation}

0 = ({\rho}_m + P_m)u^{m}_iu^{m}_j + \frac{4}{3}{\rho}_ru^{r}_iu^{r}_j

\end{equation}$$

where i,j = 1,2,3 and different. That is the off-diagonal elements of the tresstensor for matter fluid and radiation fluid.

The energy conditions imply that

##\rho_m + p_m > 0## and ##\rho_r > 0##

This implies that

$$\begin{equation}

u^{m}_1=u^{m}_2=u^{m}_3=u^{r}_1=u^{r}_2=u^{r}_3=0

\end{equation}$$

But how do one conclude the last equality?

edit: Tried to write in latex-code, but it doesn't seem to work (I don't know how to do).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put $$ both at the start and end of stand-alone latex math; put ## both at the start and end of stand-alone latex math. I have edited your original post.

befj0001 said:
$$u^{m}_1=u^{m}_2=u^{m}_2=u^{r}_2=u^{r}_2=u^{r}_2=0
$$

Do you mean

$$u^{m}_1=u^{m}_2=u^{m}_3=u^{r}_1=u^{r}_2=u^{r}_3 = 0?$$

George Jones said:
Put $$ both at the start and end of stand-alone latex math; put ## both at the start and end of stand-alone latex math. I have edited your original post.

Do you mean

$$u^{m}_1=u^{m}_2=u^{m}_3=u^{r}_1=u^{r}_2=u^{r}_3 = 0?$$

Yes I do. My mistake.

I also wonder, since this imply that matter and radiation are both comoving. It means that
L.R.S (locally rotational symmetric) space-times does not admit two-fluid models where one of the perfect models is tilted.

What does it mean for a fluid to be tilted? What does "locally rotational symmetric means" in the context of a cosmological model?

befj0001 said:
What does it mean for a fluid to be tilted?

Suppose spacetime is foliated into spatially homogeneous spatial sections. A fluid is tilted if its flow lines are not orthogonal to the spatial sections.

George Jones said:
Suppose spacetime is foliated into spatially homogeneous spatial sections. A fluid is tilted if its flow lines are not orthogonal to the spatial sections.

So it just means that it is not stationary in space? It changes coordinates in the x,y,z direction?

But I still don't understand the reasoning from the statement:

"If matter and radiation are both comoving, it means that
L.R.S (locally rotational symmetric) space-times does not admit two-fluid models where one of the perfect models is tilted."

How can matter and radiation be comoving in the first place? Radiation moves with the speed of light.

befj0001 said:
S"If matter and radiation are both comoving,
Radiation moves with the speed of light.

So I suppose u^m is timelike and u^r is lightlike. Gotta run for my bus.

From what article or book have you taken this?

Related to Comoving fluids - radiation and matter

1. What are comoving fluids?

Comoving fluids refer to the matter and radiation that make up the content of the universe. They are called comoving because they move along with the expansion of the universe and do not have a preferred reference frame.

2. How does radiation differ from matter in comoving fluids?

Radiation is made up of particles, such as photons, that travel at the speed of light and have no rest mass. Matter, on the other hand, has rest mass and can have a variety of speeds. In comoving fluids, radiation and matter behave differently due to their different properties.

3. What is the significance of comoving fluids in cosmology?

The study of comoving fluids is crucial in understanding the evolution of the universe. The behavior of matter and radiation in comoving fluids can help explain the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

4. How does the density of comoving fluids change over time?

The density of comoving fluids changes as the universe expands. As space expands, the density of matter decreases, while the density of radiation remains constant. This is because the energy of radiation is diluted as the universe expands, but the number of particles remains the same.

5. Can comoving fluids interact with each other?

Yes, comoving fluids can interact with each other through various processes, such as scattering and absorption. Matter and radiation can also affect the expansion of the universe and the distribution of matter through their interactions. Understanding these interactions is crucial in studying the evolution of the universe.