Commuting operators and Direct product spaces

In summary: The reason is that the P operator commutes with itself, and the H operator commutes with the complementary operator (the vertical operator in this case).
aaa
Under what conditions is the common eigenspace of two commuting hermitian operators isomorphic to the direct product of their individual eigenspaces?
As I'm not being able to precisely phrase my doubt, consider this example: Hilbert space of a two dimensional particle is the direct product of eigenspaces of cartesian X and Y operators. But as far as I know, the common eigenspace of Lz and L2 operators isn't the direct product of their eigenspaces. What is the difference between these two cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what your doubt is. I will make a guess its the fact derivative operators are only defined on a subset of the two dimensional Hilbert space.

The way its handled is to use what's called Rigged Hilbert Spaces:
http://physics.lamar.edu/rafa/cinvestav/second.pdf

Its basically Hilbert spaces with distribution theory stitched on. Before delving into it, and its also a very good idea for just about any area of applied math, you should become acquainted with distribution theory:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. But my doubt is not about rigged Hilbert spaces.
Let me try to rephrase the question:
When can an eigenket |λ1λ2> be considered to be equivalent to the ket |λ1>|λ2>?
For example, the simultaneous eigenkate of cartesian X and Y operators, |xy>, can be equivalently written as |x>|y>. But as far as I know, the eigenket of Lz and L2, |lm>, cannot be written as a direct product of two eigenkets.

aaa said:
Thanks for the reply. But my doubt is not about rigged Hilbert spaces.
Let me try to rephrase the question:
When can an eigenket |λ1λ2> be considered to be equivalent to the ket |λ1>|λ2>?
For example, the simultaneous eigenkate of cartesian X and Y operators, |xy>, can be equivalently written as |x>|y>. But as far as I know, the eigenket of Lz and L2, |lm>, cannot be written as a direct product of two eigenkets.

I think you need to get across the idea of a complete commuting set of observables:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_set_of_commuting_observables

Thanks
Bill

aaa said:
Under what conditions is the common eigenspace of two commuting hermitian operators isomorphic to the direct product of their individual eigenspaces?

You shouldn't expect this to be the case unless the system is explicitly constructed so that it's true. The Hilbert space for a 2D particle is basically defined as the tensor product of two copies of the Hilbert spaces a 1D particle. But in most cases the property you are describing doesn't hold. As another example take the P and H operators for a 1D particle; you shouldn't go taking tensor products here.

Related to Commuting operators and Direct product spaces

1. What is a commuting operator?

A commuting operator is an operator that can be applied to a vector in any order without changing the result. In other words, if two operators A and B commute, the order in which they are applied to a vector does not matter.

2. How do commuting operators relate to direct product spaces?

Commuting operators are crucial in the context of direct product spaces, as they allow for the creation of a basis that spans the entire space. This basis is comprised of simultaneous eigenvectors of the commuting operators, which can be used to form a direct sum of the individual eigenspaces of the operators.

3. Can non-commuting operators still have a direct product space?

Yes, non-commuting operators can still have a direct product space. However, in this case, the basis of the direct product space would be composed of simultaneous generalized eigenvectors, as opposed to the eigenvectors used in the case of commuting operators.

4. What is the significance of commuting operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, commuting operators correspond to physical observables that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that non-commuting operators have a nonzero uncertainty when measured simultaneously.

5. How are commuting operators used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, commuting operators are used to simplify complex calculations, as they allow for the use of a common basis that spans the entire space. This simplification is particularly useful in applications such as diagonalization and spectral decomposition.